Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sharing problem in Excel

• Please log in to reply

geekymartin

geekymartin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For the last 10 days, when I am opening my excel files and making changes in them and trying to close, it is showing that there is a sharing violation and I have to close the file in some other name. But this is not always happening but from time to time. Any idea on how to get rid of it?

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello geekymartin,

Welcome to GTG!

Just a couple starter questions for you:

Are these files being accessed on a network and also what version of Excel are you using?

When you open the file, do you notice a [read only] in the title bar (by the file name)?

[Edit]- Since you mentioned this occurred over the past 10 days or so, did anything change with the computer? New software, security applications, etc..

Sincerely,

dm

Edited by dm27, 16 March 2010 - 07:44 PM.

geekymartin

geekymartin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for answering. Now to answer your questions,

I am using Office 2007
No I do not see read only in the title bar
and
The problem started since I loaded kaspersky

Hope you provide a good answer. I am tired of saving files in different names periodically!!!

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi geekymartin,

Interesting...

So, all files are being created on your own system, no network and no Read-Only in title bar of the application...

Is this the Kaspersky Anti-Virus or their Internet Security Suite?

Not sure if I'll have a useful answer...I'm still exploring options.

Sincerely,

dm

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Just curious if you have the same issues with Kaspersky real-time protection disabled or set to ignore .xls or .xlsx or .xlsm file types?

Here are some additional resources for your consideration, there are lots of possible causes, I've just hit some high points for possible solutions:
  • Use the Microsoft Diagnostic Tool built into Office 2007 (perhaps a file was corrupted with the install of Kaspersky?)
    http://office.micros...2340761033.aspx
  • Depending on the Office suite you have installed, this Microsoft Hotfix may apply. Only applies to those below.
    • Microsoft Office Standard 2007
    • Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
    • Microsoft Office Professional 2007
  • Various forums report sharing violations were related to issues related to
    • the Windows Desktop Search application,
    • a bad printer driver
    • and various issues between security software (AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Kaspersky 2010 were mentioned) and Word/Excel 2007.
  • Did you ever have any Norton or McAfee Security products installed on your machine?