Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

• Please log in to reply

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I reviewed the Pinned acticla about Window XP Blue Screen for Stop Msgs but the Stop code above was not listed. I even when to MS and this specific code was not addressed.
There isn't a file name listed on the BSOD, just the Page_fault_... msg
I've ran Memtest86 and memory tested good, I can view HD when slaved to another PC
It will not boot into Safe Mode or normal Windows....

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 2200, Windows XP, Pentium M, 1 mb DDR 1 memory

Any assistance greatly appreciated.... Thanks...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the input. I will not be able to get to the laptop unitl Tuesday AM so I'll do your recommendation at that time and will get back with you sometime Tuesday.

Don't want to let you think I am not responding but have other responsibilities this evening...

Thanks...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and life is more important.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, the HD is Western Digital WD400 Scorpio. I downloaded the iso, burned it to a CD but the laptop will not boot to it. The only 'bootable' CD I've been able to boot to was the Memtest86 CD....
I when and ran Dell Diagnostics - Extensive and all hardware tested good, including the HD....

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss... Thanks....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you burn the disk as a ISO or image disk or as a bootable or data disk?

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I double clicked the iso file and it launched Roxio, asked for a new CD to be installed then dit its thing...

The CD has the following on it:

DLGDIAG5.EXE
DLGDIAG.TXT
DIGLIC.TXT
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM

Thanks again....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again did it burn as a data or bootable disk?
This disk will not work if it is burned either of these two ways.
If you have the ISO then go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
The ISO I have is the Western Digital diag504fcd.iso. Where do I get the rc.iso from???

Thanks....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
RC iso?
That is not used here anymore and if you have the WD ISO and use either imageburn or burncdcc it will burn the iso and make the disk bootable itself.

Advertisements

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Again did it burn as a data or bootable disk?
This disk will not work if it is burned either of these two ways.
If you have the ISO then go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
In the quote above you mentioned rc.iso. I thought that was a different iso than before. Sorry for the confusion... Don't really know how to add quotes to a reply so that's why the double post...
Thanks....

I'll let you know how it goes...

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, again... Used BurnCDCC to create the bootable CD, put it in the CD drive, powered it up and F12|CD.
I could hear the CD spinning but it booted upto the HD asking if I wanted to start Windows XP Normally or Safe Mode Options...

Tried it on a CD connected via USB, still didn't pick it up, tried a standard bootable CD with the above results....nothing but the Memtest86 disk started from the CD....

I have taken the drive out of the laptop and slaved it into another laptop and was able to look in it. Can I run the diagnostics on it as a slave (USB) drive on another system???

Gropping for answers/fix.... Thanks for your time/effort....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On your system did you change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the cdrom was the first boot device?
If not here is what you need to do.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the HD Diagnostics cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Yes, did that initially and several times since. Each time, if I don't press F12 and select CDROM it boots automatically to Windows and then the BSOD....
I just learned this AM that the owner says his CD ROM doesn't work. I've tried a USB drive but it doesn't pick up....
Is there something I can do with the HD slaved to my laptop????
Thanks again, I know it is getting to be a pain....