Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Identical Mac Addresses on two networked Devices

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
I have a netgear modem with a netgear wireless box attached to it. I have 2 computers both connected to the modem through Ethernet cables.

The problem is that one of the computers appears to have the same Mac Address as the wireless router which i have read is an impossibility. The problem is when the computers are on, the wireless box will not provide internet access to connected devices.

How can i change one of these MAC addresses so i do not get this problem anymore?

If any more info is needed feel free to ask!

thanks in advance,

Josh

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Do a hard reset of the Netgear wireless router by pressing the reset button on the back or bottom of the unit with a pin for 15 seconds. Power must be applied while doing this. Once that is done, remove power from both devices and all PCs for 30 seconds. Plug the modem in and wait for the correct sequence of LEDs to become solid. Now power up the Netgear router. Wait 30 sec. Now boot up the PCs.

All other things being equal, it should work now. If you're not using the wireless functionality, log in to the router and disable wireless.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
okay i will do that now and let you know how it goes.
also one thing i forgot to put was that the modem and the wireless are connect by powerline networking, would this make a difference or not?

thanks for the quick reply.

Josh

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
It should not matter how the modem and router are connected. The router appears to be configured incorrectly.