Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual monitors ?

• Please log in to reply

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
hey guys,

Was just wondering if my pc was able to run dual monitors ?

AMD Sempron Processor 3400+
1.81ghz, 2gig ram,
Nvidia Geforce 6600gt ?

If there is a possibility could I run a second monitor off of the onboard graphics card ?

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If it's desktop, most likely not.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
cheers buddy thank you for your time :)

Edited by Bosscoe, 15 March 2010 - 07:29 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)
Video cards are pretty cheap these days :)

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
oh ok, what we would be looking at getting in order to run dual monitors ?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Most regular video cards will support dual monitors.
In any case, it'll say on the package, or in on-line description.
Any real card with two outputs will most likely support dual monitor.
You can get a decent card under 50 bucks.

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
You could also get a single to dual display cable....so one end plugs into your onboard video in back and has two adapters running off that so you can plug your monitors int that. I have a USB to VGA adapter at work so I can run two screens and not have to buy a video card for dual monitors...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Isn't the second monitor display a carbon copy of the first one in your case?

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

You could also get a single to dual display cable....so one end plugs into your onboard video in back and has two adapters running off that so you can plug your monitors int that. I have a USB to VGA adapter at work so I can run two screens and not have to buy a video card for dual monitors...

Will I have to mess with the bios in order to use the onboard card ?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

so one end plugs into your onboard video in back and has two adapters running off that so you can plug your monitors int that

This will get you the same image on both screens though.

@Bosscoe, Do you want the same images showing up on the two monitors at the same time? Or, do you want to drag windows to and from each monitor and use it like one big desktop? If the latter, then go with a dedicated graphics card that has two monitor ports. An example is THIS ONE

I'll need the name and model of your computer if you'd like me to link you to the cheapest card that will support dual monitors.

Hope that helps :)

P.S. And just to be clear, just about any computer can run dual monitors, you just need the right video card with two monitor ports. Having two monitors running normal applications like a web browser, email and maybe some pictures of your vacation isn't really very stressful on the rest of the computer i.e. processor, hard drive, RAM, Power Supply.

Advertisements

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

so one end plugs into your onboard video in back and has two adapters running off that so you can plug your monitors int that

This will get you the same image on both screens though.

@Bosscoe, Do you want the same images showing up on the two monitors at the same time? Or, do you want to drag windows to and from each monitor and use it like one big desktop? If the latter, then go with a dedicated graphics card that has two monitor ports. An example is THIS ONE

I'll need the name and model of your computer if you'd like me to link you to the cheapest card that will support dual monitors.

Hope that helps :)

P.S. And just to be clear, just about any computer can run dual monitors, you just need the right video card with two monitor ports. Having two monitors running normal applications like a web browser, email and maybe some pictures of your vacation isn't really very stressful on the rest of the computer i.e. processor, hard drive, RAM, Power Supply.

thank you for pointing me in the right direction and as for the above image you linked me too, that's exactly what my gfx card looks like. Since I have the example of your image where too from there ?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I'll need the name and model of your computer if you'd like me to link you to the cheapest card that will support dual monitors

Read above... :) :) If it is custom built PC, then I need the model number of your motherboard.

Install PC Wizard to find the make/model of your motherboard:
  • Click PC Wizard in my signature
  • Click PC Wizard 2010.1.93 on the top left
  • Save the file to your Desktop
  • Double Click the setup file
  • Follow installation instructions
  • Once installed, open PC Wizard up
  • Click System Summary Posted Image (Should be highlighted by default)
What is listed across from "Mainboard"?

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Asus M2n-MXSE

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Asus.com says that board has a PCI-Express x16 slot. Source HERE.

So I'd recommend this: EVGA 7200GS But any of these will work... HERE

Hope that helps. :) Feel free to ask questions if need be.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
your a legend buddy, thank you for taking the time out to find all the information I highly appreciate it. Also would the new graphics card be better than the geforce 6600gt that I have now ? I have no idea when it comes to hardware tbh. I'm willing to spend between 200-400 on a graphics card, what would your recommendations be ?