Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can no longer play games

• Please log in to reply

t2igger817

t2igger817

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;)

Help!! :tazz:

I'm just a wanna-be computer geek (read tinkerer), so I have been trying everything to figure this out.

I have a liteon dvd/cd/rw. Recently, I've been trying to update drivers, etc. For some reason now, I am still able to play music cds; but when I try to play my Sims2 cd, it starts, gets to the blue load screen, then I have to press the windows key to get back to the desktop. There, I see a wierd error message consisting of a box with "Sims2", a red circle with a white "X" and an "ok" button.

Any ideas on a resolution would help,
Thanks,

t2igger817

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can it play any other games? sounds like a game error to me but could you list the exact error.

Rick

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
1280x1024 is my res.
try reinstalling sims (this wont destroy your saved games when you uninstall)

Nixx

grandwizard

grandwizard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
*Edited to remove offensive post

Edited by ~Kat~, 19 May 2005 - 10:45 PM.

julia1

julia1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
oh grandwizard to bad i didn't get the chance to see what you had to say. it was edited problably because you are to childish. maybe one day you will grow up and find you a lady.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
lol. i just thought of something-what is your graphics card?

Edited by nixx, 21 May 2005 - 12:23 PM.

julia1

julia1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
nixx, what does my grafics card have to do with it. i don't have any games on my computer. i use it for my business. futhermore; i don't uses simms i have sdrams. should i take them out and reinstall them? also remember i can boot my install cd but cant go into windows.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
hold on a second, where did you come from? are you and t2igger817 ther same person? I just reread the origional post and FINALLY got it. you dont have a leagal XP key! there is a way to bypass that and get to your computer. give me your email and ill send instructions to you. then run belarc from there and try the key it gives you.

Nixx

julia1

julia1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
nixxon, [email protected]

julia1

julia1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
nixx, where are you? this is julia1 i am using a friends computer to communicate with you. e-mail [email protected]. please help?

t2igger817

t2igger817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
;) Hi everyone

thanks for (most of ya'll's anyway) input.

nixx, I thought I'd let you know your answer was the most helpful. Of all the crap I'd been doing trying to figure it out, I uninstalled, (for the third time) and reinstalled the game. For some reason, this time that worked. It still has some weird glitches going on that it didn't before, like sound stuttering and wierd graphical crap, but it is playing. Pretty sad that I'm so desperate to play the damned game, that I'm willing to put up with a fiew very annoying glitches just to play. :tazz:

I have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500. I know it's got something to do with me messing around trying to update drivers, probably stuck the wrong tthing on my computer. You know the saying "a little knowledge is dangerous".

I had the computer built this March, just so I could play the Sims2 better and faster than my old 800 mhz P3. I keep messing around with stuff, trying to tweek this and that. btw, anyone know a good program to totally (safely) wipe old or unwanted programs?

thanks again

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
lol, the g-card is good enough, I would check out cleanup! (type into google) and regestry mechanic and avg, get em all and they will keep your comp pretty clean.
:tazz:
Nixx