Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where do Meta tags go?

• Please log in to reply

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi all I am new to the forum.

I got a quick quest.

I am developing a HTML in NOTEPAD I am pretty much done, however now I want to insert efficient Meta Tags where do they Go?

Do they go in the: <title> HERE? </title>......
I want to know there location so I can make sure to put the right words in. Thanks to all. Have a good day.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
They go anywhere after <head> tag.
Example:

<html>
<head>
<title>Meta Tags Are Us</title>
<meta name="description" content="How to use meta tags">
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is there a limit of how many words and # can be in between the <head> tag?</head> :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There is no limit, but some search engines will ignore words pass 25-30 of them, so 25-30 would be a safe limit. Put the most important words at the beginning.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Wikipedia: Meta elements

Meta elements have significantly less effect on search engine results pages today than they did in the 1990s and their utility has decreased dramatically as search engine robots have become more sophisticated. This is due in part to the nearly infinite re-occurrence (keyword stuffing) of meta elements and/or to attempts by unscrupulous website placement consultants to manipulate (spamdexing) or otherwise circumvent search engine ranking algorithms.

[...continues...]

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 March 2010 - 03:55 AM.