Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

service pack 3 issues. black screen on restart

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
old computer im trying to get back into working order.

installed service pack 2 had issues... wouldnt boot properly. reformatted. installed all updates. installed service pack 3 clicked restart. getting only a black screen.

not sure what to do from here? i managed to get it into one of the safe modes. but thats it

edit---

sigh... all of a sudden while in safe mode it said update complete and restart to finish or w/e. i clicked restart and it booted normally. i dont know how or why something finished in safe mode but as of this second im logged on normally.

Edited by brisingr, 16 March 2010 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
so, its working fine now???

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
yeah im sorry again for making a post about this stupid computer only to have the issue resolve itself the next day...
These service packs and updates are a pain but i think its working ok for now.

edit-

automatic updates is keep prompting me to install Microsoft Security Advisory (973811)

http://www.microsoft...ory/973811.mspx

I install it, restart, it says it was installed. then 2 minutes later the yellow alert shield pops up to tell me i need this same update again?

thoughts?

Edited by brisingr, 19 March 2010 - 01:53 PM.