Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best protection set-up

• Please log in to reply

hughofbardfield

hughofbardfield

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've searched for advice on this Forum, and can't really find an answer to what is a very simple question.

I run Windows XP updated to the latest service pack and updates. I currently use Avast Antivirus, Windows Defender and IObit Advanced Systemcare. I use the Windows Firewall as I had been advised this was sufficient for my needs (after ZoneAlarm caused everything to go slow...) I used to run Webroot antispyware on the recommendation of my PC supplier, but also seemed to cause conflicts and go-slows, as did AVG (which I replaced with Avast).

I have read that IObit is "rogue", although it seems to work fine on my system and seems to do an OK job on cleaning up after me. However, I have read on this forum that SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are better software. Should I install these instead? Is it safe to leave IObit in place?

I don't download more than the occasional video clip, don't use P2P sites and mostly just use the PC for email and information surfing. I mostly use Firefox (latest version) with No-Script and WebOfTrust, but we have to occasionally use IE as my work email isn't optimised for Firefox and my wife prefers IE (for some reason).

Advice gratefully received...

Advertisements

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi, IOBit is a known thief that has stolen Malwarebytes' definitions to use in its own anti-malware program. Source: http://forums.malwar...showtopic=29681
I would install Malwarebytes and SAS, they don't offer real time protection so you can just run each one once a week or so.
Windows Defender doesn't really do much besides use up resources.
Avast is a great antivirus, I would install a firewall, as they are necessary in today's computing days. A good free one is Comodo.

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Malwarebytes and SAS do offer real-time protection, but they are only in the paid versions. Personally I would use Microsoft Security Essentials it does very well. But if Avast works, then there's no point in removing it. Although I wouldn't trust IOBIT ether. It's probably already getting much better, by stealing other software info on your system. :) Now for a firewall comodo does alright.

Edited by Buttons1, 16 March 2010 - 02:43 PM.