Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Time Change Function

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Last year ... or whenever in recent times, the normal formula was changed for when the 2 yearly Time Changes take place here in the USA. At that time, I disabled the option in my Windows XP on this computer and on my Windows 98SE on my other computer. I did that because I assumed that that formula / data for when the Time Changes occur, was in Windows. I figured it was now out of date and would no longer work correctly on future Time Changes. It never occurred to me that if that formula / data IS in Windows, it CAN and probably WAS immediately already updated way back then via a Windows Update.

Is THAT the case? IS the Time Changes formula / data in Windows?
If so, HAS it been updated?
Is it correct now and I can Enable that Automatic Time Change Setting back up?

Or is that Time Changes formula / data in BIOS and no longer valid if my computer is like almost 10 years old?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not a formula...it's a "date range" the computer knows to change the time on the second sunday in march and the first sunday in november. this is done in windows. the BIOS clock doesn't actually care about real time or dst or anything. it's counting "clicks" from the system clock that's on the motherboard.

you seem to be describing older systems. have you run windows update on either of them? have you updated the 98 machine with the DST patch?

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Date Range ... Okay, yeah, I knew that's how it was done. I just wasn't sure if it was in Windows or in BIOS or ROM somewhere. And my main concern is that that RANGE was changed last year. So, the Date Range that existed for the longest time here in the USA ... was obviously no longer the same after the change.

So, let's cut to the chase.
This computer, my old HP Pavilion 6730 with Windows XP SP3 does have ALL the Windows Updates. I have it set to automatically download them whenever they come up. And they get subsequently installed upon me initiating the computer Shutdown sequence for that night. So, if my Windows XP computer has ALL of the Windows Updates / Patches ... is it set up with the correct Date Range for the Time Changes?

My Windows 98SE Gateway computer ... Ehhh, it's just my backup computer. I pretty much don't use it. That one doesn't have ANY of the Windows Updates. I stopped messing with installing any of the Updates on that one a long time ago. That's because with all its quirks, glitches and problems that would pop up here and there, I used to do frequent Windows Reinstalls. And well, since I have Dial Up, that made for some HUGE additional downloads. So, I just stopped installing those Windows 98SE Updates.

Edited by Chimiti, 16 March 2010 - 10:01 AM.