Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

One cable modem - 2 routers

• Please log in to reply

captschark

captschark

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm trying to run 2 wireless router off of one cable modem. I have a rental property next to my house and I would like to allow my tenants to use wifi off my cable modem but not off of the wireless router I use for my network.

Is it possible to have a cable modem connected to wireless router #1 and then wireless router #2 connected to #1 as a separate network?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to stealing of internet service. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

This thread has been reported to the Moderating Staff and should be closed shortly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is not my intention to steal anything. I own these properties and I pay the cable, internet and phone on all of them. Nothing is being "stolen."
Sent to me via a pm. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 March 2010 - 09:39 AM.

captschark

captschark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
NP, I can see how it might of sounded like something it isn't.

I'm just trying to have have one secure wireless network that has all of my personal machines on it and another open wireless network for everyone to use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What ISP are you using?

captschark

captschark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ISP is Comcast.

I've got two dlink routers on hand so i would like to use them instead of buying new hardware. However an easy but costly solution might be a dlink wireless bridge/access point.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK according to Comcast which I have also you can do as you are describing but they warn that you have a cap on your upload\download which if exceeded they will let you know.
After twice of being warned you could potentially lose you internet connection.
Also they advise that your bandwidth speed will be shared and therefor you will slow down.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One other issue i believe is that since you will be running off of one network connection your system would be open to sharing unless you turn off file and print sharing on your system.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
right i think i know what your trying to do so i thought i'd add my suggestions too!

Firstly running wireless router #2 off of #1 should be absolutely fine just so long as they have different Access Point name.
As rshaffer61 put above, with multiple users using your internet then it can be drastically slowed but as long as it is mainly web browsing it will be fine.

I would recommend putting a different password to the one you use on wireless router #2 and giving that to the people in the other house just to stop 'anybody' using your internet.

as long as both routers are on a different subnet ie. 192.168.0.1 and #2 is on 192.168.2.1 then as far as i know there should be no security issues with file sharing and all that, but that does mean computers on the two separate networks won't be able to directly communicate but as far as i can tell thats what you are after

Hope that helps

Josh

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Network Segregation - Adding security to Wireless Network (or to any peer to peer Network).
http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html