Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Rename or Delete a Folder

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have a Folder in my My Documents Folder. All of a sudden, I can no longer rename it or delete it. I get a message saying that another person or program is using it. I can rename, delete, copy, paste or whatever Files, Docs and Pics INSIDE that Folder ... just NOT the Folder itself.

I really just wanted to rename the Folder as I used to add the current Date as part of the File Name whenever I updated that Folder. But, if somehow deleting it will do the trick, I'm game.

I read somewhere in one of the similar topics on here a suggestion to delete the Folder while in Safe Mode. Will that work? The person to whom that was suggested never posted back whether it worked for him / her.

FYI, I did run a manual full avast Scan with Thorough and Search Archives Settings enabled last week and a manual full Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Scan this past weekend and everything came up clean.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Check and see if there are hidden files.

http://onecomputergu...htm#view_hidden

Also try Move on boot

http://www.softpedia...nload-1398.html

Dwight

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks, Dwight! :) I don't have any Hidden Files as I have the Setting set to always display them.

So, I'll probably be trying that MoveOnBoot here soon.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hmmm? Well that's odd. On a hunch, I went and took a look at the Properties of the Folder in question. Sure enough, it said - Read Only - was selected. I unselected it and was able to rename the Folder like I had wanted to all along.

But, then I checked again and the status is again Read Only.
Shouldn't the Read Only status STAY Unselected as I set it?

I then tried the option to set the Folder as well as all the Subfolders to an unselected Read Only status. They're still set to Read Only. Shouldn't all those Subfolders now have the Read Only status Unselected?

Edited by Chimiti, 16 March 2010 - 09:40 PM.

dr_iton

dr_iton

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Read the following link please:
http://www.geekstogo...op-t270603.html
cheers.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks, Dr_iton! :) I have bookmarked the links regarding MoveOnBoot and Unlocker. For now, my problem is solved. I managed to rename the Folder.