Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slower older PC

• Please log in to reply

EarlB

EarlB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have reactivated an old Sony PCG-FX 340, and reinstalled Windows with Service pack 3.
It still runs slowly and with all the free "run fast" products out there, I'm not sure which one I can trust and that works with minimal space.
Suggestions?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Don't trust any of them. Most likely you just need more memory. XP originally ran with less memory but XP SP3 seems to want a lot more. 512M or better 1G. Yours probably has only 128M or 256M and can only be upgraded to 512M (2x 256M). You need to turn off anything you don't absolutely need. http://www.blackvipe.../service411.htm

Don't use known cpu hogs like Symantec or McAfee. Avira or avast would be a better choice.

Ron

EarlB

EarlB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you.