Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive problem?

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I'm *assuming* this is a hard drive problem, but I can't really figure it out or know how to test it, but here is some information if you guys can give some suggestions.

Months ago with the release of Windows 7 looming I decided to get a new hard drive, a 1.5TB WD Caviar Green (WD15EADS) to install for storage. I installed Windows and the new HD at about the same time and a few months later I started having a problem, at random, with no rhyme nor reason the computer will freeze. I could be in a game, I could be out of a game surfing the web, I could have just left the computer idle. I can go for a week without the problem, I can leave the computer running for a full 24 hours without a problem.

Now, after the freeze I'll restart and most of the time it'll get to the BIOS and sit there for a few seconds, about 20, when detecting the drives and most of the time the drive will not be in the list of detected drives. I'll boot up into Windows, sometimes taking minutes after this happens, and the hard drive will be missing from the list.

When this happens sometimes I can restart and it'll show up other times I just take the case apart, check everything and put it back together and it'll boot without problem. The cables have never felt loose but I've tried replacing the SATA cable and switching to another SATA port on the motherboard, this seemed to work for about a week, but just today the computer froze up again.

My next step was to download the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics program, which is supposed to give me the SMART info and other information about the HD but it's not working. I try running and I get the same error message every time: "Test Error Code: 11-Cable Test::Write sector error!" For giggles I've tried running the test on both of my Seagate drives and they get the same error message.

By the way, this hard drive does NOT have my OS on it, if it matters at all.

Any suggestions for tests or know whats wrong?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you running the test from bootable CD, or from within Windows?

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Within windows.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's not good.
Download .iso file and use ImgBurn to burn it to a CD. Then, boot from it.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Well it's supposed to be run in Windows, so I thought I was going down the correct path.. guess not. lol They do offer a DOS version, guess I'll try that next

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Well you had to go and make everything all hard lol. No go, the last 3 CD RWs I have are toast.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You should be using CDRs.

If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Alrighty, had to get some more CDs, I rarely use them, I've had the old ones for probably 4-5 years :)

Ran a short test, came up fine, let it do the longer media test overnight and came back with no errors either.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hmmm...what will happen, if you disconnect that extra drive?

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I could try it, but the problem is so sporadic I can't find a way of actually testing it. It's not done it since I created the post, so 4 days and no hang ups. My only guess was that it's the hard drive itself since it's "disconnected" after the freeze. Could it somehow be an OS issue or something more?

Edited by ADNoland, 20 March 2010 - 12:24 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
My guess is as good as yours....

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Ok, could heat possibly cause a problem and a HD to freeze? Always hear about the issues CPU and GPU overheating causes, but never heard anything about HDs.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Never heard of it either :)

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I'VE GOT THE ANSWER! I blame gremlins :-/

Well I have no idea where to go from here since the test performed fine and I can't really do anything to repeat the problem. Probably just have to accept a freeze now and then as fact and deal with it.

Thanks for the help though.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)
Gremlins, huh?...LOL