Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! cannot reinstall computer, or the mattar of fact, do anythin

• Please log in to reply

kennedy powers

kennedy powers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I just joined this forum today, and I need some help.

It all started when I got this dumb trojan. I could not access any of the safe modes and the computer will give me the blue screen of death. I bought and installed norton on my computer and ran a full computer scan, but when I woke up the next morning to see what happened, there was a blue screen.
I decided to go into BIOS and look around to see what could help me out. Eventually, I found a setting with the words "factory default" and I set it on that. The next morning, I woke up and nothing would work properly. Nothing showed up on the monitor. I gave up on the computer for about 4 whole months and now I've decided to figure out how to fix my problem that I made worse.
I plugged in my monitor to another plug-in, and everything started to show up! Right after the dell load up screen, the computer asked for my system password, but I cant type a single thing on my keyboard! I rebooted my computer and I cant go to system setup or anything. When I try to type in my password, the computer makes a beep, almost like it is rejecting the keyboard.
I made a dumb mistake by not knowing what the setting meant :) , but any help here would be appreciated. Is there some way to undo everything or just completely reinstall everything? If you cant help me, then thanks for trying.

Kennedy Powers.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Resetting the BIOS to factory default would achieve nothing in relation to the BSOD. All you have done is exactly that - reset the BIOS to default. It is not in any way connected with the Windows installation per se.
Check again please that as soon as the computer is switched on, that you cannot get into setup by continually tapping, whatever key it was you used before, most likely F2.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If F2 does not work, you presumably remember how you got in before, just in case you have forgotten see this.
It is usually F2 or Delete, but all Dell models are listed., either directly or on the Dell site of course.

http://michaelsteven...anufacturer.htm

kennedy powers

kennedy powers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Resetting the BIOS to factory default would achieve nothing in relation to the BSOD. All you have done is exactly that - reset the BIOS to default. It is not in any way connected with the Windows installation per se.
Check again please that as soon as the computer is switched on, that you cannot get into setup by continually tapping, whatever key it was you used before, most likely F2.

I cannot get into the setup by tapping F2 for some reason. I've tried F2 and F12.

*EDIT*I tried F2 but when I wait for the loading, I still have to put in my system password, and I cant because my keyboard wont work for me.

Edited by kennedy powers, 16 March 2010 - 06:35 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which key did you use to access the BIOS in the first place.
Also post details of which DELL please, some Dell keyboards have an F lock key which needs to be pressed to activiate F keys when entering BIOS

Additionally is the keyboard a USB connection or a PC2 connection.
If it is USB, bios reset may mean that the BIOS cannot now see the USB keyboard. Try a PS2 keyboard of use a USB to PS2 converting plug.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 March 2010 - 07:31 PM.

kennedy powers

kennedy powers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Which key did you use to access the BIOS in the first place.
Also post details of which DELL please, some Dell keyboards have an F lock key which needs to be pressed to activiate F keys when entering BIOS

Additionally is the keyboard a USB connection or a PC2 connection.
If it is USB, bios reset may mean that the BIOS cannot now see the USB keyboard. Try a PS2 keyboard of use a USB to PS2 converting plug.

Well, I actually got the system to work and I am reinstalling everything.But,when i got to the part where I reinstall windows on a partition drive (Like C:) I dont know what to do. I have C; and E partition drives, C: having over 70gbs of info.
What should I do now?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This was why I asked you to post details of the actual computer. Many Dell computers shipped with a Recovery partition on which was installed the O/S and anything else Dell put on when they shipped the computer, ie: to the point of sale.
Usually this is accessed by pressing and holding "Ctrl" and then F11 at the time of boot.
HOWEVER that will reinstall whatever was there to start with. If for instance it shipped with XP Home and has since had XP Prof installed it will be back if you use the Recovery partition to Home. or whatever variant of Windows was installed on the Recovery Partition.
You may have a label on the computer telling you what O/S is installed and the Product Key.
You really do need to take a step back and supply the details I asked, OR check yourself on the Dell site.
HOW did you access BIOS and was it the USB keyboard.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 March 2010 - 06:52 AM.