Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown usb device error

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I have an Trust usb adapter, model 15006 to get more usb ports. Worked fine until about a week ago. When it is connected, it keeps giving off a usb error (the funny spear flashes on-and-off in the system tray). When I disconnect it and restart the computer, the spear disappears. The device uses no drivers according to the web site.

The mb is an Asus p4v8x-mx. According to Asus, all drivers are up-to-date.

Also, if I go to device manager, there is no problem shown, just the device manger itself keeps trying to rest.

Computer specs are: XP,SP3; 1.5 gig memory.

Any ideas?

joe

Edited by tjmcs, 16 March 2010 - 06:16 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Joe

Are you able to test the hub on another computer at all? If so, does it work?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hi, Samm

The hub does work on other computers.

joe

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, when this problem occurs, do you have the hub connected without any USB devices plugged into it?

Have you tried connecting the hub to all the different USB ports on your machine? Does it behave the same way on all of them?

Does it make any difference whether you have the hub connected before powering on the PC or if you connect it after loading windows?

What did you mean when you said "...device manager keeps trying to rest"?

Have you tried doing a system restore? You would need to work out when this problem first started & select a restore date from before that point (eg a week beforehand). You would lose any system changes that you have made or programs that you have installed since that date. If you do the restore & it doesn't help, you can always undo the restore afterwards.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Samm,

Answers in order you asked them:

There are no devices plugged into the hub.

The hub acts the same way in all ports.

It makes no differance when the hub is plugged in. Immediately after the hub is plugged in, the usb icon in task bar starts flashing on and off. It does this on all ports.

I meant to say "the device manager keeps trying to reset". When the icon is flashing and I go to device manager, the words on the screen keep flashing on and off like the manager is trying to reset. The only way to get it to stop is to be fast enough to click on something before it disappears.

System restore did nothing.

joe

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, couple more things I meant to ask:
Do all your other USB devices work OK?
Do you use a USB keyboard or mouse?
Do you have legacy USB support enabled or disabled in the BIOS? This may be referred to DOS support for USB or something similar.

Edited by Samm, 21 March 2010 - 11:07 AM.