Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think this is a hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

Brett_Riddle

Brett_Riddle

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do alot of work in 3ds max and while doing so i believe i had too many polygons on the screen and it froze. Then after a second it gave me the bluescreen and said it was stuck in an infinite loop. So i turned it off and then a little while later turned it back on. I ran malwarebytes just to be safe and it found nothing. Then later on it happened again. But when i turned it back on i noticed some strange pixelations on start up and boot menus. It looked like some pixels were missing out of the texts and when the windows splash screen came up there were some yellow dots here and there. Somewhat noticeable. And then it goes black and then there is a short flash and then the whole screen is dark except for a white square in the middle with some flickering pixelations around it. and just a few up in the corner. When i moved the mouse with the touch pad the square moved around like it was the mouse. I tried plugging in my corded usb mouse but it would not work.

I restarted and ran CHKDSK /R in the windows recovery console but nothing happened. I have an OTLPE disc if that is needed. I do not know what is wrong with it at the moment. I think that it may be hardware related but it has not been getting very hot. And if it is malware related i might know what file it is that is infected.

Please help me. This is a very expensive laptop. Thank you!!!!

My OS is Windows xp pro sp3. It is a gaming laptop from digital storm. 2gigs of ram, quad core processor, 17in. screen. If any other specs might be needed just let me know. Just thought i would include these if it might help with finding out if it might be hardware problems.

Edit: OK now when i turn it on the same thing happens on the boot menu and splash screen, but then the screen just goes black. The screen lights are still on. but the screen is black this time. No white box or pixelations.

Edited by Brett_Riddle, 17 March 2010 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like your video software was overwhelmed and is now corrupted. See if you can boot off a Windows OS disk and try to repair the video software in safe mode.

SRX660

Brett_Riddle

Brett_Riddle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Would you mind walking me through the process?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This forum website explains it pretty well.

http://www.techsuppo...ver-nvidia.html

You may have damaged the hardware by going to a screen resolution that is too large for the computer to handle. What may be happening is the graphics chipset is overheating causing your problems. There may be no cure for this problem as it may need a new motherboard to fix it.I hate to say this but what happens if you run the laptop in a cold enviroment? I.E. stick it in a plastic bag and put it in a refrigerator for a day. then try running it? I know it sounds weird but i did that once and the video worked fine for a few minutes until it started overheating again.

SRX660