Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

longarm1

longarm1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, my mouse stopped working. there were other problems (like System Restore going blank) which i fixed by repairing from an xp disc. The mouse still doesn't work, but if moved to another PC it does work ok. Checking mouse properties, a msg says the driver is missing or corrupted. It is an optical mouse and I no longer have the install disc for it. Any suggestions for how to uninstall existing drivers and obtaining new drivers for a PS/2 mouse?

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
In most cases you do not need any drivers from CD. Uninstall the mouse driver then choose Scan For Hardware Changes. Reboot the PC and see if it works correctly.

longarm1

longarm1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion, but still have the same problem. I uninstalled the driver and deleted the mouse from the device manager, and the PC recognized the addition of the mouse when I plugged it back in. I disabled mouse keys and rebooted, but still no good.
I also tried the same process with another mouse, and again the PC identified it in the device manager, but the mouse still didn't work. I rebooted and still no good.
I keep getting the msg "windows can't load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing [error 39]".

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Is the mouse USB with a PS/2 adapter or strictly USB? In the case of the former, shut the PC down and move the mouse to a PS/2 port.

longarm1

longarm1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The optical mouse I've been using is a strictly PS/2. The alternate mouse I used for testing is a USB. I was hoping that if the PS/2 port was faulty, that the USB port would work with the USB mouse.