Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Sharing Fundamentals

• Please log in to reply

neumannu47

neumannu47

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As I write, I'm in a hotel that wants $20 per day for wireless Internet access. My wife brought her computer, and she would like to connect, also. I've spent quite a long time trying to understand ICS, but I'm missing some of the fundamentals. Both computers are Windows XP SP3. What I want to do is to pay for one connection and then allow the second computer to access the Internet through the first one.

At first I thought I could connect the two computers with a crossover Ethernet cable and share the wireless connection, but I cannot find a web page that shows that exact configuration. So, I'm stuck. If you know how I can do this, please post. There are some excellent articles on ICS, including one by Steve Winograd, but there are some steps that aren't available on my computer or my wife's computer, including the drop down box that appears on this page.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

The page above has links to videos if you'd like to see them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you checked with the front desk? typically that $20 covers any computer that's in use in the room (i.e. you could have like 6 computers on at the same time) you pay for the room to have access not each device (usually)

it might be a breach of the hotel's EULA (End User License Agreement) for you to share the connection in the room like you're wanting to do so you'd probably want to ask about that too