Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help in image resizing

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning!
I bought a nice little slideshow program to use on my website. The problem is, it's creating a 5.4 mb file. Not good for slow internet connections.
I need to be able to reduce the size without actually reducing the size (I want it to be as big as it is but only taking a fraction of the space).
I have tried a couple of programs but they always seem to make my image smaller when viewing.
What can I do?
Thanks so much!!
dianne

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
otieatkins-

Unfortunately, not much. Reducing the file size of the image will means reducing either the quality or size of the image. That's inherent in the data that comprises image files.

What are the before/after sizes of the image (I'm assuming standard JPEG, but correct me if I am wrong) you're trying to use? Five and a half M for a JPEG seems huge; I think you can get away with a smaller image and still get away with the point your site is trying to make.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thank you for such a quick reply. The actual size of the entire slideshow is 5.4 MB. If the slideshow is on my website, and someone goes to my website to view it, are they downloading it to view it? Does it really matter to them how big it is because all they're doing is "looking" at it?
Thanks so much!

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
otieatkins-

How are they viewing the slideshow? If the pictures are part of the coding on the webpage, the view rate will have to do with your server's bandwith capabilities and the viewer's network. But someone just viewing pictures on a webpage won't be downloading them.