Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone successfully update the BIOS on Dell 2350?

• Please log in to reply

charliedog

charliedog

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been playing with our old (seven years) Dell Dimension 2350 desktop for a couple of weeks now, learning as I go-mostly from my mistakes. So far I have replaced the PSU (480w), installed dedicated graphics-PNY GeForce 8400 GS, installed a wireless card so the computer could be moved to a downstairs room, and doubled the RAM to 2 GB-yes, it does work, PC-3200 installed but running at PC-2100 but all 2 GB are recognized.

I have a P4 2.8/512/400 coming-to replace the Celeron 1.7 cpu, and I have been trying to update the BIOS to v. A02 to be ready for it. I almost have the instructions on the Dell download site memorized I have been trying them so many times. They show two different ways of doing it, and I've tried them both. I always wind up with a Black SOD. Anybody done this successfully? If so, I'm open to suggestions. If I don't get the BIOS upgraded before the P4 arrives, I'll install it and see what happens-it won't explode, right? TIA

Larry aka Charliedog

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A rule of thumb is to not upgrade a bios unless it resolves a particular issue.
There are so many things that could go wrong and you wind up with a big paper weight.

So the question becomes....Is a bios upgrade required for the P4 to work?