Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Resolution

• Please log in to reply

Fern01

Fern01

• Pip
  • 8 posts
For the past few days the Screen Resolution slips back to its lowest on start-up, I was advised on how to change it but I can't drag it to a higher resolution. Then advised to do a System Restore which I have done twice, it works ok, until I turn off the computer for a few hours then it goes back to its lowest resolution, and I have to repeat the System Restore again.
I'm also getting a notice appearing on the screen "New Hardware has been installed, PCI device, I haven't installed any new hardware that I'm aware of, I'm wondering if this is the problem.?
I would appreciate your help, please.
Thx.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Click Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab, Device Manager, then Display Adaptors.
Please report what it says and any yellow marks by any item on the Device Manager list

Fern01

Fern01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, will do. thx.

Fern01

Fern01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Click Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab, Device Manager, then Display Adaptors.
Please report what it says and any yellow marks by any item on the Device Manager list

I did all that, when I clicked on Display adaptors , nothing showed up,

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are there any yellow warning indicators by any device.
If there is a plus sign by Display Adaptors click it, OR double click the wording Display Adaptors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How about a picture to let us see what you see.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Fern01

Fern01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Are there any yellow warning indicators by any device.
If there is a plus sign by Display Adaptors click it, OR double click the wording Display Adaptors

No, there are no yellow warning signs by any device. On clicking on the plus sign by Display Adaptors, it displays VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is the computer a HP by any chance.
If so this is the correct driver. Have a look again at the graphics card and this time double click that graphics and then on the box that opens look at the driver details.
If you do have an HP have a look at this and if THAT is NOT the driver, download this and see if the Update Driver will find it, you will have to point the Update driver in the right direction.
If you are uncertain of anything, come back please.

http://h10025.www1.h...item=pv-24969-2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also on tech support.
Far be it from me to question the Tech Staff, but won`t that just show us the listings in Device Manager. He could have opened the Graphics could he not so we can see which he actually has, integrated or Pci or AGP etc. OR am I jumping the gun.
Anyway
Hi from the new boy on the block.

The answer to what i was looking for was given after i posted my instructions. The point is to see if there are any issues within Device Manager.

Fern01

Fern01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

If so this is the correct driver. Have a look again at the graphics card and this time double click that graphics and then on the box that opens look at the driver details.
If you do have an HP have a look at this and if THAT is NOT the driver, download this and see if the Update Driver will find it, you will have to point the Update driver in the right direction.

Yes it is HP. I'll check things out, I appreciate the plain language talk.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a name brand system and if so what make and model?
If custom built then what make and model is the motherboard?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Not a problem It was just lucky as HP were frequent users of this motherboard system.
It did not have to be HP as others, ie: Dell used it as well.
I am less than certain that this is the problem but it is a good starting point.
When it reports found new Pci device, it will then report your new hardware has been installed and is ready for use, OR it will report a problem. Click the balloon, with the message on the taskbar to see what it says.

Fern01

Fern01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Checked the graphics card and it is the same driver.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off for tonight 0140 here in UK.
Have a look at my post 12.
Also when you come back post model of HP - full model number.
I will pick it up tomorrow evening UK time and see if you still have problem.
Cheers.
Macboatmaster

Fern01

Fern01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Not a problem It was just lucky as HP were frequent users of this motherboard system.
It did not have to be HP as others, ie: Dell used it as well.
I am less than certain that this is the problem but it is a good starting point.
When it reports found new Pci device, it will then report your new hardware has been installed and is ready for use, OR it will report a problem. Click the balloon, with the message on the taskbar to see what it says.

When I clicked on the balloon a notice says to insert the CD to install the new hardware. I didn't install any new hardware and I sure haven't got a CD.

Also when you come back post model of HP - full model number

Model No. a420a, system model DTO63A-ABGa420a
hope this is what is required.