Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting Frequent Freezes and Having Issues Restarting

• Please log in to reply

scott775

scott775

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I recently had the XP Internet Security virus, which was [bleep] to get rid of, I think that somewhere during the removal i damaged either Windows or i have warped the info on my harddrive. I have been getting frequent freezes, where i have to shut the pc off from the on/off button and i have also had problems when rebooting, where i get an error msg about where it cant locate the Bios program.
I have run the hardware diagnostics that came with my pc on my harddrive and it passed wiith no problems, I am wondering if I should reformat my harddrive and just start from scratch or if there is a way to fix Windows.

Advertisements

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello.

If you have any files that are important to you, you should back them up, in the case that these problems end up killing your computer. (It is possible). Do this first and I will try to provide more info for you to solve this problem.

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yeah, ive already basically put anything worth saving onto my external hd. Almost resigned myself to having to reformat, just hoping maybe i missed something.

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay.

For me, I have had the freezing thing before, but not the Issues. For me, I fixed the freezing by leaving the computer off for 24 hrs., as I thought it was a over heat problem, so I let it cool down. However,m you may do this, but it isn't 100% gonna work. Was the problem encountered after installing something??? Also, keep in mind reformatting doesn't always fix your problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure you are completely cleaned of the infection?
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Okay.

Was the problem encountered after installing something???

If not, when did this start occuring?

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh rshaffer61, would you like to take over for me? My computer knowledge isnt very good. Not too much of a help here on this topic.

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Now that you mention it, it had been running for like a day or so. Maybe I am having an overheating problem, but this is only something that has really started since i got that virus, i am thinking that when i removed it ( had to run combo-fix a few times to get rid of it) that i damaged windows.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you mentioned heat then lets take a look at it.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I think that there might be some left over [bleep] from that virus which is causing your problems (issues). I would first do what rshaffer61 told you to do, as he is trusted and gives reliable info.

Edited by Dark Player, 17 March 2010 - 07:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is any doubt if the infection is completely removed then I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here