Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble installing iTunes

• Please log in to reply

rebross

rebross

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I just finished cleaning up my computer from malware/viruses. I tried to run iTunes and got the following message. "iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes." I deleted all itunes components and reintalled it but I got the same message. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You'll most likely have to use the Windows Installer Clean-Up utility to solve the problem.

Follow the instructions here on Apple's website under the section that says "General Troubleshooting".

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I did that several times and got the same error message so I installed iTunes 8.0 and it worked, but now I get the following message every time iTunes starts. "The file "iTunes Library.itl" does not appear to be a valid iTunes library file. iTunes has created a new itunes library and renamed this file to "iTunes Library (Damaged).itl". It reloads a new library every time it opens which is time consuming. For some reason the library file gets damaged each time. Did you ever hear of that problem?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
No I haven't, but I can assume that you previously had iTunes 9.0? Typically, programs that use a backend database or library file, update the library when the program is updated. So most likely what happened is that you are trying to open an iTunes 9.0 formatted database in iTunes 8.0 and it's assuming the file is corrupted.

Since you have v8.0 working, have you tried just an update to v9.0 as opposed to the clean installation? If that works, you should be able to replace the default .itl with the one flagged as damaged.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 March 2010 - 11:50 AM.

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Ok I'll try that.

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I updated to 9.0 and am back to my original message. "iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes."

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
So you ran through the part in the Apple FAQ that directed you to install and use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility?

I just want to be clear on that before we go further.

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Yes I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I discovered that I am able to use iTunes 9 when I start the computer in selective startup mode. If I disable all non Microsoft services, iTunes will work.

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I've been trying to narrow down which service or startup item is causing a problem with no luck.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Excellent. It will take some time, but you'll have to add each service back one at a time until you find the culprit.

Advertisements

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
This may be a dumb question, but do I need to restart the system as I add each service?

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry to bud in, but I had the same issue on friends laptop.

Here is what happened: She had a previous version of Quick player installed so it will not let her install Itunes, because Itunes comes with new Quick player.

So what I did I removed Quick player, reboot and then installed Itunes W/ out a problem.

What I am trying to say is make sure you don't have any previous versions of Itunes or even Apples Quick player as it seems it conflicts with newer versions.

Hope that helps

rebross

rebross

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Thanks Felipe. I completely removed iTunes, Quicktime, Apple items, etc. using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility before reinstalling iTunes.

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Your welcome rebross, let us know how it turns out. :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

This may be a dumb question, but do I need to restart the system as I add each service?

You should be able to add the service, then go to start, run and type services.msc and press enter. Then find the service you just added, double click on it and press start. The problem you'll run into is that some services are dependent on others. So you might try to add a service, but windows will tell you it can't start the service because it's dependent on some other service. Then it's back to the msconfig window to add that service.

There might be an easier way to do it, but that's all I can think of trying.