Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable Modem on ME

• Please log in to reply

elistariel

elistariel

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sometimes my desktop, with Windows XP fubars and I'd like to be able to use my old as dirt laptop instead. My problem is my laptop is a piece of you know what from 2001 with Windows ME on it. It's an HP Pavilion XH485. I'd like to know how to use my cable internet modem with it. My modem is a RCA model DC M425.

Thank you.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Pages 18-19
http://www.timewarne...omsonRCA-DCM425 (.pdf)

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 March 2010 - 02:56 AM.

elistariel

elistariel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Didn't work. I tried the ADD new hardware thing. My laptop won't recognize it as a plug and play device and it's not an option on the given list. No RCA, no Thomson anything.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Are you using a USB or Ethernet connection? If you are using USB, try the Ethernet connection.

Have a look in Device Manager for any issues. If you see a yellow ? or ! or a red X what device does it refer to?

• Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  • Double-click the System icon.
  • Click the Device Manager tab.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 March 2010 - 05:58 AM.

elistariel

elistariel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Are you using a USB or Ethernet connection? If you are using USB, try the Ethernet connection.

Have a look in Device Manager for any issues. If you see a yellow ? or ! or a red X what device does it refer to?

• Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  • Double-click the System icon.
  • Click the Device Manager tab.

It is an ethernet cable, there is no USB. Your suggestion will not work. Windows ME does not recognize my Cable modem and my modem is not an option from the list of modems to select.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
When you plugged in your cable modem did Windows ME's "Add New Hardware Wizard" automatically appear? If not, your computer's BIOS settings for Plug-and-Play devices may be "Disable(d)".

drob1996

drob1996

• Pip
  • 1 posts

When you plugged in your cable modem did Windows ME's "Add New Hardware Wizard" automatically appear? If not, your computer's BIOS settings for Plug-and-Play devices may be "Disable(d)".

My computer windows ME is doing the same thing

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would bet that it is looking for a driver that you should have on a CD someplace.
All I am finding though is a drivers for USB.

USB Driver

Direct Link to Install document

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
elistariel:

Remove power from the cable modem and PC. Make your ethernet connection.Power up the cable modem. Wait one minute. Make certain the Internet LED is on. If it isn't, press the on/off button on the right side once. Power the PC up.

In Device Manager, do you see the NIC listed under Network Adapters? Do you see anything to the left of the green icon?

Start>run>type winipcfg

Pull down any items at the top, such as Realtek or Intel Fast Eth. Adapter. Can you release and renew the ip address? Does the IP address begin with 192 or 169 or something else?