Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unlogical problems concerning CPU usage.

• Please log in to reply

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hi all.

Today I encountered a computer that shows performance problems when leeching a file from/sending to the computer with another computer.
The CPU-usage normally sticks between 0 and 15%.
But whenever I try to send a file through network from one pc to that pc, it goes to 100%, mouse turns really laggy and some times the pc instantly exits kernel (cardiac arrest and reboots).

It seems as if CPU power is being used by spyware or something.

I've tried to check which hidden processes run on this computer using Hijackthis and Process Explorer.

Hijackthis logs shows absolutely nothing. Even the dll-list turned up clean.
Process Explorer shows one abnormality.
The line saying Interrupts takes up most of that lost CPU power.
I don't know much about deep hardware, but I do know that hardware interrupts cause lag.

If somebody got advice on what to do, I'd like to hear it.
If a re-install is the only thing left to do, then so be it, but I won't like it.

Thank you in advance.

--
Oh yeah, when I cancel a file transfer and do the same transfer again, the pc in question won't lag down as badly, but still taking 20-50%.
--
I did try to re-install the drivers for the ob-nic, but that didn't fix the problem.

How much % chance is there that the problem is in fact the NIC and it's hardware related??

Edited by IO-error, 18 March 2010 - 05:50 AM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit IO-error?

I had another computer guy call me in once because he couldn't get one system on his network to connect at more than 10Mbps. After insisting on my changing the RJ45 conns on each end of the cable involved, I rigged up a temp cable and 100 Mbps popped in with no problem. Turns out that the cable integrity had been compromised by forcing it around some sharp corners. I also had a case where some one had stacked wine cases on top of a UTEP cable, which resulted in a connection that became totally unpredictable. Moving the weight off of the cable restored a normal reliable system. The hard part was drinking all that wine... :)

Try to make a connection with a different cable and see if it helps..

Quick question, is this conn going through a switch or is it PC to PC. I(f its PC to PC you should be using a direct patch cable)

Hope this helps..

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Thnx Mark,

But I am afraid the problem isn't in the cable.
You see, one of the side effects is that once a file has been sent to the pc already it doesn't lag as much as the first time.

Example Given.

I've sent Zeitgeist Addendum from the pc that works fine to the pc that shows these problems.
The first time I send it, it will have massive loads of hardware interrupts.
When I cancel it anywhere or let it complete, it will not lag again with THAT file. I can't get my head around this, but it's pretty much completly unlogical.

A different cable didn't cure the problem, a new network card also didn't work.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hard drive health? It seems odd that once the file has been sent (or started to), that only that file is allowed through w/out experiencing the faults. Have you tried ping commands from both sides? Any lost packets?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
may be a IRQ conflict...
what else do you have running at the same time your trying to send the file

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Thank you for the idea, I tried pinging from and to the machine that shows the problems, but no lost packages.
I use this line to check for packet losses.

ping -t -l 65500 192.168.1.x
Where x is the correct number.

Here's the strangest thing of the story, I'm using Windows 7 to move these files over the network to and from this pc.
But while the Windows 7 pc is calculating how long it will take, the WinXP pc doesn't lag yet.

-But right at the moment when Windows7 is done calculating how long it takes, the WinXP pc starts getting hardware interrupts of 20-30%.

-The CPU usage is always at least double the value of hardware interrupts.

-No ping packets are lost, no latency of ping increases.

I hope this makes sense to somebody.
If this problem turns out unfixable, I will re-install the computer.
But that will take at least a week of making back-ups, installing and tweaking again.

So, thanks for the help so far and I hope we can nail this [bleep].
greetz

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

may be a IRQ conflict...
what else do you have running at the same time your trying to send the file

I've been inspecting the BIOS throuroughly, but no double IRQ's or a forgotten one. All seems to be ok in the BIOS.

But thank you for thinking with me.
I've never been so helpless before with computers.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Your original post didn't mention that it was Win 7 to XP. There are issues between those 2 OS's. As the "problem" disappears once you've 1st tried to copy a file across and then allows it the 2nd time, it sounds like once the file has established a "beach head", whatever is causing the hardware conflict settles down. Try to create a file on the target PC with the same name and extension before trying to copy and see what happens.

I have just had a Win 7 to XP problem that I'm still in the midst of and MS has just reported that the latest Explorer will not work on XP. Eventually everything will sort itself out when the world just uses Chrome, Firefox or whatever...

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I never would have thought Win7 would be the problem.
It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then suddenly the problem came up, so I didn't blame Win7 ofcourse.

A few things that I tried:
- Replaced network card
- Checked BIOS settings and tweaked with IRQ's a bit

What I will try is each of the following:
- Install a newer processor (current one is nearly 8 year old Athlon 2400)
- Take ghost-image, replace old HDD, install image
- Pray, cheers and thank Mark and HappyRock for the help
- Downgrade Win7 to XP just for the fun of it.

After I done those things I'll come back and report.
If it's good or not, you'll hear from me.

(thnx again)
greetz
IO-Error

Edited by IO-error, 18 March 2010 - 02:58 PM.