Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP - Startup problem

• Please log in to reply

Woodz

Woodz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi, i recently had some dodgyness going on with my computer so i did several checks with anti viruses ect. The last one i did was the microsoft one, which is at onecare.live.com. After this it asked me to restart my computer... so i did. This is where i have the problem.

It starts up noramlly but then asked me for a user name and password which it never used to do, which is Compaq_Owner so i just click ok... This is where i get messages saying:

"Isass.exe" - unable to locate component
failed to start because msls52.dll not found

Says the same for "svchost.exe." aswell

these messages come up 2-3 times i click cross/ok.

All i see is my background wallpaper, i cannot see task bars or anything, when i click ctrl +esc nothing happens, when i click ctrl + alt + del nothing happens.

Anyone know what could have possibly gone wrong and how i can fix this?

(im obv having to use an alternitive computer to post this)

Edited by Woodz, 18 March 2010 - 07:31 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Depending on what the other several checks did the Microsoft One creates a restore point, before it changes anything.
Go to System Restore.
That is
START
PROGRAMS
ACCESSORIES
SYSTEM TOOLS
SYSTEM RESTORE
Select Restore my computer to an earlier time.
Select the Restore Point created by Windows Live Safety scanner if that is what you used.
Restore to that point.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 March 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Woodz

Woodz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi thx for reply.

I cant do any of that because i dont see the start menu or anything.

I decided to use my compaq recovery disk and just format my hard drive, currently do it now ill let you know how it goes

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry about that, best of luck, did not realise that you did not even have the START erc
I take it you tried Safe Mode and Last Known Good, before the drastic step of a complete format.