Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

constant error on pc, help ?

• Please log in to reply

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok heres the deal.

the message i keep getting says
''the procedure entry point is ThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll.''

ive had this message for.. ages.

it happens with my messenger, my firefox, my teamviewer and all sorts of other programs. it just gets anoying even thought everything works fine after it except the messenger as when someone messages me it comes up again and again which it proving a pain. i just want rid of this stupid error as its a constant pain. thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Click Start, and then click My Computer.

Double-click the hard disk icon for the drive where Windows is installed. In most cases this will be C:\.

Double-click the WINDOWS folder, and then double-click the system32 folder.

Browse to the file dwmapi.dll.

FOLLOW THIS PLEASE and see if you have that file.
DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yup i've found the file.
What should i do now?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly, establish a restore point.
Click Start, All programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, then when that opens, Click to put a check in Create Restore Point and click NEXT, name it and follow instructions.
Now restart the computer.
dwmapi.dll is a Windows Vista file that may have been installed by another application.
Go back to the file you found
dwmapi.dll.
Right-click the file, and then click Delete.
Restart the computer.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
wow thanks I'm actually surprised it worked!
been a problem Ive had for a while and finally you have got rid of it for me ha-ha.
i think i know why the problem was. i installed a windows vista theme. just a pink toolbar. the themes still working fine though..maybe it was just a file that wasn't meant to be in the download. thanks very much for you help, deeply appreciated!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked.
Be careful, DO not install anything that is only shown as compatible with Vista.
You could in certain circumstances, achieve very little except to be visiting this forum with a problem, earlier than you wish.
Some things will alter a registry entry and you may then have all sorts of problems.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yeah thanks. but see how you get themes for windows that look like vista themes? but the rest is just the same as windows xp just the colour and task-bar. that's what I downloaded. its still working fine though so I'm presuming it wasn't meant to be there? ha-ha but yeah it has greatly helped :) ill learn to watch out in the future.