Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Win XP Pro SP3 and IE8 after iolo System Mechanic "

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download VEW the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your Desktop...
Double-click VEW.exe
Under 'Select log to query...put ticks in both application and system
Under 'Select type to list... select both error and critical
Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply...

also then check your device manager for any yellow ! or ? marks ...
to check... Click on Start and then Run...Type in devmgmt.msc and then press Enter
if you see any yellow or red get a screenshot and post it for us...

for how to post screenshot...go here...

Advertisements

KenPC

KenPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi ... thanks for the reply

I downloaded VEW.exe (version 01b) and tried to run it as you suggested, however when I ran it with your listed parameters, notepad never opened and I received the message: run-time error '462': the remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable [OK]. clicking [OK] closes the VEW.exe window/box. Should I try it later or do something else?

also device manager and start>>run>>devmgmt.msc did not show any red or yellow flags (! ? marks)

Thanks Ken

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this...
go here and download System Investigator by Olrik (SINO.exe)

Save SINO to a place you can remember and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
put ticks in the following checkboxes:
System Info
Services
Boot Check
Tasklist
Startup Items
Event Log

Netstat
Hosts file

Routing Table
Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.

A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply
Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.

Edited by happyrock, 14 April 2010 - 06:39 PM.

KenPC

KenPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the reply
I downloaded SINO.exe, saved to my desktop and tried to run it. I only got the message: Errors occurred See the logfile 'C:\DOCUME~1\Default\LOCALS`1\Temp\SINO\SINO.exe.log' for details [OK]. Clicking [OK] closed the error message box. I opened the SINO.exe.log file using notepad, the contents are below (I am kind of surprised the notepad copy-paste function worked because it does not seem to work anywhere else e.g. internet browser or file directories):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SINO.py", line 29, in <module>
File "wmi.pyc", line 169, in <module>
File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 73, in GetObject
File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 88, in Moniker
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is unavailable.', None, None)

Thanks for your patience .... Ken

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:) sorry ...found you had posted in the waiting room...sometimes we don't get notifications that you had replied in your topic...

you will have to repair xp...
for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

Edited by happyrock, 03 May 2010 - 08:20 AM.

KenPC

KenPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
A final update .... I finally was able to get things back to almost pre iolo SM cleanup condition by reinstalling Win XP from the original CD and then applying all of the service packs and updates from Microsoft ... a rather long process. I tried to build a "slipstream"(?) version of Win XP with all of the service packs integrated onto 1 CD, but when I started the install using it, it did not like my original CD's product key so I gave up on that approach and just did it the long way. The down side of the reinstall is that I also had to reinstall all of the other applications that I previously had and some of those did not go as soomothly as I would have hoped (had to remove previously installed files that were no longer in the "new" registery). Anyway thanks for all of the suggestions.

Logan Swart

Logan Swart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 15/10/2011 9:40:57 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/10/2011 9:40:40 PM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 1001 Source: Brother BrLog
STI BrtSTI: [2011/10/15 21:40:40.890]: [00000320]: GetDeviceIpAddress: GetAddressByName [BRW0022581A3B6D] Error

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/10/2011 9:40:06 PM
STI BrtSTI: [2011/10/15 21:40:06.375]: [00000320]: GetDeviceIpAddress: GetAddressByName [BRW0022581A3B6D] Error

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/10/2011 9:39:31 PM
STI BrtSTI: [2011/10/15 21:39:31.859]: [00000320]: GetDeviceIpAddress: GetAddressByName [BRW0022581A3B6D] Error

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/10/2011 9:38:57 PM
STI BrtSTI: [2011/10/15 21:38:57.343]: [00000320]: GetDeviceIpAddress: GetAddressByName [BRW0022581A3B6D] Error

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/10/2011 9:38:22 PM
STI BrtSTI: [2011/10/15 21:38:22.828]: [00000320]: GetDeviceIpAddress: GetAddressByName [BRW0022581A3B6D] Error

'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 08/10/2011 10:14:11 AM
Event: 7023 Source: Service Control Manager
The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 08/10/2011 10:14:10 AM
The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just updated IE8 and it wont open, the icons on my desktop just flash like the desktop refreshed and nothing happens. I have recently reformatted my PC and until I updated IE I had no problem except a certain player (NDN Player on WWW.WIFR.com) wasn't working. I have tried disk check, and other things but nothing has helped at all but my step-father doesn't want me to system restore so at least IE is operating(I'm fixing it for him) but he wants me to SOMEHOW fix it. I did what you posted originally and that is above I would like to know what to do next. Thank you for reading this.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Direct to: Logan Swart

This topic is over 1 year old.

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.