Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Abit motherboard gone bad?

• Please log in to reply

Nalyd

Nalyd

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My computer is not booting very well. It will sometimes try, but freezes or reboots at different points through the boot up process. Sometimes before it finishes counting ram. Sometimes after it gets to windows loading screen. Sometimes after it verifies DMI. I have tried a new power supply, video card and using just one strip of ram. I tried to boot to a floppy, no luck there too. I have tried to just power the hard drive and mother board. What I dont know is what part is messed up, the processor or the motherboard? or both?

Abit AN7 w/ amd xp 3200
1gb pc3200
Radeon 9600
2 40g hdds
450w psu

Edited by Nalyd, 19 May 2005 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
imthinking the psu might be bad. the processer either will work or it wont work. the mb will always halt or screw up at the same spot. try using a different psu, but dont buy a new one without a tech sharing my opinion.:tazz:

Nixx

Nalyd

Nalyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a few PSUs, I tried a new one. No good. Same thing happened.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Can you boot into bios? if so post the temps and voltages

Rick

Edited by Doby, 19 May 2005 - 08:34 PM.

Nalyd

Nalyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I can sometimes. It freezes there too. Oh yeah, each time I reboot it shows my processor running at a different speed and the range changes between 333 and 400. I have tried default safe boot options but it didnt help. Temps are between 35 and 40degrees and the voltages are all normal.

Edited by Nalyd, 19 May 2005 - 08:37 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
HMMM well with trying different psu's and resetting the bios and no improvement it does indeed sound like the mobo or cpu, hard to tell witch with out swaping.

Try the other stick of ram but I suppose you already tried that.

I really don't know but its one of the two sorry couldn't be more help but its a guess as to witch

Rick

Nalyd

Nalyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, kinda came to that conclusion myself. Just wanted a second opinion. Might as well buy both at once since combos are so cheap.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
i just went through somthing very very similar with my asus,,it was the cpu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Please note the date of the OP 20/05/05

Edited by phillpower2, 09 May 2010 - 09:53 AM.