Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processors and trusted execution technology

• Please log in to reply

FayB

FayB

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am looking at computer specs and trying to decided what processor I might want when I get a new computer.

I found a comparison list of Intel processors.
Seems the difference between the i7-9xx processors and the i7-8xx processors is that the -9's have a higher bus speed but -9's do not have Intel Trusted Execution Technology and the -8's do. I am not sure exactly what it is - tried to do some reading on it. Has something to do with security - but other than that the descriptions pretty much lost me.

Does anyone know what that is, a simple explanation? Would it be better to get one with the higher bus speed or one with the Trusted Execution Technology?
Why would the more expensive processors not have it?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Quoted from Intel.com HERE

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology for safer computing, formerly code named LaGrande Technology, is a versatile set of hardware extensions to Intel® processors and chipsets that enhance the digital office platform with security capabilities such as measured launch and protected execution. Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides hardware-based mechanisms that help protect against software-based attacks and protects the confidentiality and integrity of data stored or created on the client PC. It does this by enabling an environment where applications can run within their own space, protected from all other software on the system. These capabilities provide the protection mechanisms, rooted in hardware, that are necessary to provide trust in the application's execution environment. In turn, this can help to protect vital data and processes from being compromised by malicious software running on the platform.

In a nutshell, it's supposed to help prevent viruses. I haven't heard much about it and I don't know how well it works really. The best way to always go is with a good anti-virus.

Why would the more expensive processors not have it?

The more expensive faster processors (9XX Series) don't have it because they are actually the older processors of the i7 bunch using the Socket 1366... X58 chipset. The i7 8XX Series are very new with a release just a couple to few months ago. They use the Socket 1156... P55, H55, and H57 chipset.

Would it be better to get one with the higher bus speed or one with the Trusted Execution Technology?

Depends. Are you looking for overall processing power? Or, more interested in dropping down a step and concentrating on security a little? Both series of processors are very nice and for the common user are more than enough to do what they need it to do.

Hard Drives play an important role in how speedy a system seems when it comes to the common tasks of installing programs, how fast programs open up, and/or transferring files to and from partitions or USB Drives. So that may be more of what you are looking for. Heavy duty processors like the i7 Series are great for video/photo editing and gaming. And things like 3d Rendering in CAD programs.

What will you be using the computer for?

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ferrari,

Thanks for the information. I have had my current computer p4 3Ghz with 1G memory for about 7 years. When I get a new one - I'll be planning on having it a long time and want to choose one that will serve me for a while.

I am not a gamer. I use it for the normal things - e-mail, Internet, word, excel etc and then also I play around some with VFP. developing apps for my self. At one time I have visual studio express downloaded to pay around with, but had to replace my hard drive due to a drive crash and never downloaded it again. So, the thing is, I plan on having it a long time - and not sure what I might want to use it for in the future -so just want to make the best choice I can. WIll have to make some trade-offs, just have to decide which ones.

I think you answered my question.

Thanks