Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death 0x0000007B

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, I am a Windows XP user and, recently, I somehow got the antivirus 2010 spyware on my computer. Unable to use Malwarebytes to remove Antivirus 2010 (it just didn't open), I resorted to system restore to restore to a restore point that was created yesterday (restore in 3 sentences...awesome).

However, after about a minute or so of looking at the "windows is shutting down" I received the blue screen of death with the 0x0000007B message.

Now, I can't even get past the WinXP load screen (with the moving bar) without getting the blue screen. This occurs at every option; regular startup, safe mode, and the "restore to settings that worked before"

So I then tried Chkdsk /r from recovery console but nothing has changed. I've looked here and there but I'm not sure what I should do and I don't want to mess anything up.

I did not update anything (no drivers, hardware, etc) since I had not touched my computer for 2 weeks and it worked fine before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your best bet is to try a repair install. 07B errors are usually a corrupt registry, or a boot sector virus.This usually happens when a anti-virus tries fixing the virus.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

SRX660

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Okay, so I tried the repair install, and I can get past the "loading screen" but now I'm stuck on the blue page with

Collection information
Dynamic Update
Preparing installation
Installing Windows (this is not bubbled)
Finalizing installation (this is not bubbled)
"Setup will complete in approximately: 33 minutes"

For the past 2 hours or so, it's been stuck with the same time and the same picture in the middle of the screen

"Windows XP Professional upgrade" box for Regional and Language Options

EDIT: My keyboard and mouse are not working. That might be the problem...is it?

I'm not sure why it's stuck...if you need a picture then I'll take one.

Edited by Anonymous1337, 19 March 2010 - 03:32 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you do not care about losing the data on the computer, the next step is to reformat the drive then try reinstalling the OS. Beyond doing this i would replace the Hard drive and see if you can install XP on the new HD.

If you DO want to save data off the drive , i would still replace the hard drive and after reinstalling XP install the old HD and see if you can access it. It should not try booting up when it is a slave to the new main HD.

The problem your having is with the boot sector.

SRX660

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Agh, so just to make sure, it has nothing to do with the non-working keyboard and mouse? Because I have my cursor in the middle and the box has a "next, cancel" option (although I'm not sure if it's just a picture).

So there is no other way to fix my problem other than getting a new HD? No way to fix the computer with just the installation disc and built in PC functions?