Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

12demonfire04

12demonfire04

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been attempting to connect my desktop computer to the internet through an ether net cable; however, after plugging in the cable and trying to access the internet, internet explorer says unable to connect because you have no network card. I've used the internet with my desktop computer before, was using a wireless lynksys adapter before attempting to use an ethernet cable. I'm not to sure what the issue is, any insights?

Edited by 12demonfire04, 19 March 2010 - 12:49 AM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Remove power from the PC, router and modem. Connect your desktop directly to the modem with an ethernet cable. Power the modem up. Wait 60 sec, then power the PC up. Press Windows key + R. Type cmd. Type ipconfig /all. Do you see "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" listed? If so, is the default gateway 192.168.xxx.xxx?