Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home-Built Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply

TehRahk

TehRahk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry if this is the wrong forum or if I've done anything wrong. This is my first post but I have a problem.

I have a MSI Ultra-C 645 Motherboard, 2.4GHZ Pentium 4 processor, 512 DDR Ram, 64mB video card. 450W supply.

I build a computer 2 years ago and I'm using the same motherboard. All other components are new except for the motherboard, hard drive and video card. I replaced all the other parts. The computer worked but coming back one day it just didnt start again and so I put it away for 2 years. Just recently I've been working on it again.

So after I carefully installed anything and turned on the computer nothing happens. No visual no anything. The entire case comes on and the fans work.

My motherboard came with D-Bracket. It's a diagnoses system. Four Leds are on. The manual says that the processor is defective or not installed properly. I know the CPU is installed correctly and it's new so it's not defective.

What can I do to fix my computer. Someone please help, I've invested a lot of money.

Advertisements

TehRahk

TehRahk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Could I have things plugged into wrong spots?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
is the new cpu compatible with that motherboard? Just because it is new doen't guarantee it is good...Check everything again.

TehRahk

TehRahk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah the board support up to 2.4GHZ (Pentium 4) and in the manual for the motherboard.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i agree...just because it's new does not mean it is not defective.

Since the diag lights are telling you that, I would believe it.

You can remove the CPU and check it for bent pints or burn spots, but if you do, make sure you use some heat compound when reattaching

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
i agree with gerryf and austin- make sure the cpu is not a bad product- some types of defective problems you can fix- minor ones tho, if it is complelty gone you would want a new one...for a pin, just carefully take a pen and push it back into place