Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 freezes, sudden CPU Usage peaks (System interrupts)

• Please log in to reply

Diva_Sheep

Diva_Sheep

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
A few days ago I went ahead and installed Windows 7 on my pc. But ever since then I'm having a lot of problems with my computer. The first few minutes my computer works as it is supposed to but after a while it starts to get more and more problems.
For example if I open my tv app the first few minutes after a restart it works all fine but if I close it and re-open it again, the images and sound start to stutter and every couple of seconds everything hangs (sound, image and even my mouse). At those times I can see sudden peeks in the CPU Usage (at the performance tab in Task manager). At the "recourse monitor" i noticed that every time the cpu usage shoots up, a process called "System Interrupts" uses most of the cpu power.
I also have the idea that when scrolling down, on some pages it goes a lot slower than when I still had XP. Also if my pc is on for more than a couple of hours even my internet broser (chrome) starts to get more and more issues. It starts to get more irresponsive, when I'm typing every now and the browser hangs for a couple of seconds and then fills everything I've typed in. Or when I try to change tabs it sometimes takes a few seconds before it responds.
I don't seem to have any problems during games, although they aren't 100% smooth all the time. Sometimes it seems that a frame or two are being skipped..

I have already tried reďnstalling all drivers, only thing though is that my motherboard producer hasn't released official win 7 drivers but I read somewhere that the vista 64bit drivers should also work. I also updated my bios.
Does anybody know how I can fix this problem? At the moment I have to restart my pc every hour or so, and that is getting a bit annoying.

My pc setup:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Asus P5K
Intel Core2Duo E6750
4x Corsair CM2x1024-8500C5D 1GB
Ati Radeon HD 4870 1GB
TV card: Happauge WinTV PVR 150

Thanks in advance!

PS I've taken 2 pictures of before and after I start my tv app with my cpu usage:

Before
After

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the issues only occur after you've opened the TV tuner, the software isn't compatible with Windows 7.
Unfortunately a lot of TV Tuner software is very badly written, implemented and fails to work after the next service pack, never mind anything afterwards. I had one that worked fine under XP Service Pack 1, it broke under Service Pack 2, didn't work at all under Service Pack 3 and then decided I didn't have a capture card at all under Vista.