i hope you can help me with a problem i've been encountering for a some days now with the internet connection on my eeepc.
these things occur:
1) sometimes when i click on a link firefox shows a very quick loading bar in the status bar, but actually does nothing. when i open it in a new tab, it just shows a blank page. i then have to click the link several times before it decides to really load the page.
on other occasions it just loads the text of the page, but no images or stylesheets or whatsoever.
i also encountered similar problems when using internet explorer (version 8).
(i've got firefox 3.6 installed, with 1-click youtube downloader, chatzilla, java console, java quick starter, microsoft .net framework assistant, personas and mozilla weave sync add-ons installed. there's also the avg safe search add-on installed, but deactivated.)
2) some updates (like the latest flashplayer-update, i think it was) weren't able to connect to the internet
BUT the internet connection on my desktop computer works perfectly fine!
the eeepc is an eeepc 1005ha with win xp home.
the desktop computer has vista ultimate.
i'm using avg anti-virus with deactivated link-scanner/search-shield on both machines.
internet connection works via wlan through an alice (german provider) router.
the wireless-connection has perfect signal strength.
so, there's a small backstory that might have to do with that, but i got no clue.
two things happened within the last month:
1) i had the login/logoff-virus. i booted with a bartpe bootable usb stick and changed the registry to a prior date (a week before); the winlogon-userinit.exe,-thingy was correct; i was able to boot normally and got rid of the thing with malwarebytes' anti-malware and/or avg (not too sure which one of them); after this everything seemed to work fine
2) last week i installed my girlfriend's vodafone umts surf stick (which installed a dfü/dial up-connection) to surf the web when in the city. unfortunately, firefox always wanted to use the dial up-connection after unplugging the stick and popped up multiple instances of the connect-window. thus, i de-installed the stick and at first, everything seems to work fine
thank you for your help!