Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to a ATI HD 5870 (1GB)

• Please log in to reply

shehanpd

shehanpd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Guys..

Nice to be here..... So HELLO to everybody from Sunny Sri Lanka !!!!

Pls let me know an honest answer to my question since i will be spending all my saving to by this video card (Graphics Card), So here we go :-

I have a intel DG35EC mobo (As mentioned in my spec's), and i want to by a ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB card,

1). Will this support my MOBO ?? or will it fit it. I meant, will it hit on any of my capacitor or any other part in my MOBO ?? (I have a big casing so no worries with that)Just want to know will it fit perfectly ??

2). Is it a good graphics card?? Is it worth buying it (Because I am a very heavy gamer.. I have played most of the newest games which are in the market as of now with my current graphics card which is a Nvidia 8800gt 512mb, it's a very nice card I would say so far, But thought of going for a better one. So I have been looking around on the net, and have come across the ATI 5870, Which I want to go for it, but I would like to know your opinion??

Please let me know and I would be very grateful to you all.

Thanks in advance Guys ,

SHEHAN....

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 5870 will wipe the floor with anything you throw at it.
However the rest of the machine may end up being the slowest link.

Also consider Your 8800GT is still pretty decent. Upgrading the graphics isn't going to improve the graphical capabilities of the games you've played now. They will still look the same under 8800 or 5870. Looking at your specs, I would suggest your next graphics card should be accompanied by new board, processor and possibly memory. By the time you get round to doing this in a couple of years time the games will move on and the 8800 will not be able to cope. By then of course the rest of the machine will be out of date.

shehanpd

shehanpd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Neil, appreciate your input...

Regards,

Shehan