Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Itunes Store Not Connecting

• Please log in to reply

amsnpo

amsnpo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recieving error that says "We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-50). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

Just started receiving the error on Monday. Never had a problem before.

This is what the diagnostic said:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
INTEL_ DG33BU__
iTunes 9.0.3.15
QuickTime 7.6.5
FairPlay 1.6.16
Apple Application Support 1.2.0
iPod Updater Library 9.0d11
CD Driver 2.2.0.1
CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1
Apple Mobile Device 2.6.0.32
Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.45.0.0
Bonjour 1.0.6.2 (118.5)

iTunes Serial Number 5D6590526B0F2AC0

Current user is an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2010-03-19 14:36:31.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS
VIA Chrome9 HC IGP
Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

Genius ID: 49d63a458f739d28e38c73dfe655185d

**** Network Connectivity Tests ****

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {9FA5972B-712D-478D-BF27-D65B2FB96CEB}
Description: Intel® 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
IP Address: 10.1.0.105
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.1.0.1
DHCP Enabled: No
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255
Lease Obtained: Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969

Lease Expires: Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969

DNS Servers: 64.238.96.12

Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: No
SSL 3.0 Support: Enabled
TLS 1.0 Support: Enabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.
iTunes is enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was successful.
Secure connection attempt to iTunes Store was successful.
Secure connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.
Last successful store access was 2010-03-19 14:26:30.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

No drivers in LowerFilters.
UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.2.0.1),

D: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J, Rev SB00
Drive is empty.

Writing CD text is turned on in the preferences. If you’re having problems burning CDs, try turning this preference off.

**** iPod/iPhone Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService 9.0.3.15 is currently running.
iTunesHelper 9.0.3.15 is currently running.
Apple Mobile Device service 2.50.39.0 is currently running.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A. Device is working properly.
Intel® ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C. Device is working properly.

FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controllers:

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. Device is working properly.

Connected Device Information:

iPhone, iPhone 3GS running firmware version 3.1.3
Serial Number: 8800918W3NP

Most Recent Device Not Currently Connected:

Fifth Generation iPod (iPod with video) running firmware version 1.3
Serial Number: 8L6309FVTXK

**** iPhone/iPod Touch Sync Tests ****

Sync tests completed successfully.

I have tried all the basic troublshooting items including deleting the DNS file, re-installing iTunes, enabling iTunes in my Firewall etc.

Any help will be appreciated!

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
This is a little more drastic, but I want you to try deleting your user preference file for iTunes. You want to make a backup of the original file before deletion.

Keep in mind that you will lose all iTunes preferences, but we can put back the original file if it doesn't work. If it does, you'll have to recreate any and all preferences you have set.

Close iTunes

Navigate to C:\Users\InsertUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs.xml

I don't know your username, but you'll need to substitute it for the part above where I have "InsertUsernameHere". Once you find that file, you'll want to make a copy first, delete the original and restart iTunes.

Give that a shot and let me know how it works out.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 22 March 2010 - 08:08 AM.

markstvn

markstvn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having the same problem as the poster, which problem was caused by attempting to purchase a song I was listening to on Panda, by selecting buy from ITUNES, which caused browser window to open, and ITUNES app to open for purchase. Another poster here had exactly the same scenario. I tried deleting the preferences file, but this doesn't work. All diagnositics show a good connection. Totally stumped, I tried repairing ITUNES installation, but that didn't work. I haven't done a reinstall yet of ITUNES, because I hate what quicktime does to certain file associations, they are a headache to repair. I have seen here that others have tried a reinstall and it didn't work. I would love another answer for this issue, it is quite annoying.

I'm using Windows Vista, and ITUNES 9.0.2.25-

See the screen shot, stone just won't load.Capture.JPG

markstvn

markstvn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I posted a fix that worked for me in a very similar thread. I found it at the Apple support forum. Follow it exactly, the part about Itunes U is critical. I hope this helps somebody, it did fix my issue. See the quote:

The suggestion was to:
click edit in iTunes
click Preferences
click Parental Controls
Under Disable, check the boxes for "iTunes" and "Allow access to iTunes U". (NOTE: It is important to check BOTH of these boxes. When I only checked the box for "iTunes" but not box for "Allow access to iTunes U", this procedure did not help me.)
This opened up iTunes U, though I could not log into my account or get into iTunes Store.
Then I went back to Parental Controls and under Disable, I unchecked the box for iTunes.
When I did this, the iTunes store opened for me.

I live alone. I've never used the parental controls on iTunes. I don't know why I was locked out of the iTunes store in the middle of a session and I don't know why following the procedure above let me back in.

I hope this info is helpful to others.

zhree1

zhree1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I posted a fix that worked for me in a very similar thread. I found it at the Apple support forum. Follow it exactly, the part about Itunes U is critical. I hope this helps somebody, it did fix my issue. See the quote:

The suggestion was to:
click edit in iTunes
click Preferences
click Parental Controls
Under Disable, check the boxes for "iTunes" and "Allow access to iTunes U". (NOTE: It is important to check BOTH of these boxes. When I only checked the box for "iTunes" but not box for "Allow access to iTunes U", this procedure did not help me.)
This opened up iTunes U, though I could not log into my account or get into iTunes Store.
Then I went back to Parental Controls and under Disable, I unchecked the box for iTunes.
When I did this, the iTunes store opened for me.

I live alone. I've never used the parental controls on iTunes. I don't know why I was locked out of the iTunes store in the middle of a session and I don't know why following the procedure above let me back in.

I hope this info is helpful to others.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! After weeks of no access to the Itunes store (and not being able to update my iPhone apps!) your post helped me fix the issue! I've also never messed with parental controls so I have no idea why it works -- but it does!
:)