Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Update for Windows 7 (KB977206)

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. My computer does NOT have Hardware-Assisted Virtualization. So I was never able to use XP-Mode. Today, though, Microsoft released an update to remove the requirement for Hardware-Assisted Virtualization in order to use XP-Mode.

However, it's not letting me install it. I instead get the message: "This update is not applicable to your computer."

I have a 32-bit computer and am using the appropriate version of the update. I did a clean reboot and tried installing it again, but the same issue occurred.

Any ideas what else I could try?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Wait a minute! I might have solved my own problem. It occurred to me that perhaps the update needs to have XP Mode installed first before being applied. I will try that now.

Sven S. D.

Sven S. D.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hy Diggerio, has your steps worked?
I am having the same problem. My CPU hasn't HAD support and I wanted to use the XP Virtualization Mode on Win 7 Ultimate.

Strange is that in MS site the instalation of the XP Mode is not showed as a prerequisite.

Bye.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Yes, installing XP mode/Virtual PC first allowed the update to be installed.