Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'XP Mode' no longer requires VT

• Please log in to reply

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Windows XP Mode now accessible to more PCs
http://windowsteambl...o-more-pcs.aspx

Posted by: Brandon LeBlanc 09:00 AM Thursday Mar 18, 2010

We’re announcing an update to Windows XP Mode today that will make it a more accessible to PCs in small and midsize businesses who want to migrate to Windows 7 Professional but have applications that still require Windows XP.

Windows XP Mode will no longer require hardware virtualization technology to run.

This change makes it extremely easy for businesses to use Windows XP Mode to address any application incompatibility roadblocks they might have in migrating to Windows 7. Windows XP Mode will of course continue to use hardware virtualization technology such as Intel VT (Intel Virtualization Technology) or AMD-V if available. You can find more information and download the update which will go live later today here.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I always thought it was somewhat of an oxy moron that XP Mode could only run on VT hardware. Glad to see that has changed.

However, I still for the life of me can't figure out why they didn't design XP Mode to automatically scan for, and then auto attach USB devices. At least half of XP Mode's purpose was to still allow use of legacy printers, web cams, scanners that aren't compatible with Windows 7... yet when you open XP Mode, you next have to go to the top menu bar and click attach on every single usb device you want to attach. AND!!! This is only for devices that don't have a Windows 7 driver. WHICH IS CRAZY!!!!! :)

Typical great idea implemented terribly. Took me 3 uses of XP Mode to figure out this design flaw. Some how it makes it all the way to release of Windows 7 without being changed. :) :) It can't be that hard to tell XP Mode to automatically attach the USB devices it finds.

All my research into this shows several people have this complaint, yet there is no way to have it automatically attach. No fix issued either. :) Glad to get that off my chest... :)