Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RDC host is self-locking

• Please log in to reply

Opa6x57

Opa6x57

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I tele-commute.

I have 3 machines in a rack at the corporate office which I control via Remote Desktop Connections.

One of these machines will 'self-lock' ... as if the user typed ctrl-alt-del - and clicked the 'lock' button.

This happens randomly - sometimes while I am actively using that machine.

The other two machines never do this.

I've compared the client-side connection properties - and they all match - including the user credentials. If there are 'host' side properties that are adjustable, I've not been able to find them.

I've checked/compared screen saver settings (NONE).
I've checked/compared power settings - they all seem to match. One of the two that this never happens on - doesn't have a drop-down box for when to go to standby - but on the other two, this setting is 'Never'.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
any chance that someone is physically logging into the machine? or remotely logging in with the same credentials (i.e. if you're logging in as administrator)? is terminal server actually configured on the servers? are these servers or desktops (or at least running XP instead of server OS)

Opa6x57

Opa6x57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The machines are all Windows XP 2002 SP3.
All of them are desktop type machines.
This 'locking' has occurred during times when the corporate offices are closed/empty.

The three machines do not have physical monitor/keyboard. They are on a KVM with several other machines. It's very likely that the machine that is being locked is NOT 'selected' at the time so anyone messing with the KVM keyboard would most likely NOT be addressing the machine that is locking.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
would anyone else be logging in remotely?

Opa6x57

Opa6x57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No.
They would have no reason to. These are not shared machines. They are assigned to me. The login/password used is MY username/password.

Additionally - sometimes this happens when no one else is working, but me.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just making 100%. when working remote it's kind of hard to say 100% that no one is doing something.

XP will only allow for one connection at a time, RDP or local. if you're logged on VIA RDP and someone logs on locally or with RDP, it's going to log you off.

Opa6x57

Opa6x57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That 'symptom' would be different from what I'm seeing.

This is like the workstation is 'locked' ... or has gone to screen-saver. When I give my password, I'm right back where I started from - all of my applications are still running. Still showing exactly the same screens as when the workstation got 'locked'.