Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connections for a Dell Printer

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
I moved my computer set up and can't see how to reconnect the Dell printer. The only identification I can see on the printer is "DP/N ON5819" and Service TagBZZPM61. It connected to my a Dell pc with XP.

I see a socket for the larger size telephone type connection on the printer and a cable with the that connector on one and a USB connector on the other end. Is that the cable I should be using I wonder? But I do not see any power connector on the printer! What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Is this your printer? HERE

According to the owners manual I downloaded from that link it uses a USB cable. You can see where it plugs into in the image below (number 6). The small square like Type B USB plugs into the printer and the flat rectangular standard Type A USB plugs into the back of the computer. Look at difference in the two in this IMAGE HERE.

Refer to number 7 for where the power connector is plugged into. Does this help?

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 19 March 2010 - 03:44 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Oops, Ferrari beat me to it. :)

Edited by SpywareDr, 19 March 2010 - 04:03 PM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Ferrari and Spyware Dr.: Thanks for your help. I must be blind because I cannot see the place (item 7 in Ferrari's picture) where the power cord connects.

Can one of you tell me the Dell <name> of this printer ( I can't recall it)(so I can buy the right power source)? Does the printer connector cable (that plugs into the slot 6) have a USB connector at the pc end?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well I linked to the Dell Printer 720 because that is what comes up on Dells website when I enter the service tag # you gave us which is BZZPM61. I asked you this...

Is this your printer? HERE [<--Click There]

Does the printer connector cable (that plugs into the slot 6) have a USB connector at the pc end?

Yes, I had stated that in this quote...

You can see where it plugs into in the image below (number 6). The small square like Type B USB plugs into the printer and the flat rectangular standard Type A USB plugs into the back of the computer. Look at difference in the two in this IMAGE HERE. [<---Click There]

Here is a more defined image for you.

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 20 March 2010 - 09:36 PM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Ferrari: Yes, I recall now, the printer <is> a Dell 720 (strange that it doesn't say so on the printer label itself). And the printer-pc cable I have does have the two connectors you describe. But I appear to be missing the power adaptor; and I still can't find where the adaptor plugs into the printer. Can you locate that for me? Thank you so much.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Dell Printer 720 Power Adapter: EBAY. Tons of them on EBAY... ANOTHER HERE

I can't really explain where the power adapter goes into the printer much more than what the first image I gave you shows. Take a look at the Dell Power Adapters I linked to and see if any of that matches up with the number 7 spot in that image.

I searched for images that show the back of a Dell Printer 720, I had no success, sorry.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Ferrari: I <found> the power cord and am happy to report that my printer is now up and running. I really appreciate your patient support. ...batpark[

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are very welcome. :)