Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB itunes

• Please log in to reply

Jeff Freeman

Jeff Freeman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I'm new here & I'm hoping that someone can help me. I recently downloaded my itunes files to a usb drive, or I thought I did. I opened itunes, clicked on file & saw "export to", so I clicked on that & thought that the files had been transferred. Now when I plug in the usb drive into my laptop, I see itunes folders but my computer won't read them yet when I plug the usb drive into my old computer, everything works fine.

Even when I downloaded Itunes on my laptop & tried to "import " them, that didnt work either. I have read so much & am very confused. I am afraid that I have lost my entire library! I read somewhere that you need to compress or consolidate the foles & create a new folder. I did that as well but it still wont call up on my laptop.

I really need some help.

Thx

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you trying to move everything over to a new computer? Is the music still on the old computer? If it is, you can navigate to My Documents, My Music and copy the entire iTunes folder to the flash drive. Provided you don't manually manage all your media, this will copy everything including your preferences and library file.

Then it's just a matter of installing iTunes on the new computer. Once you do that, you'll want to open iTunes one time and close it once it loads. Then copy your iTunes library and media from the flash drive to the My Documents, My Music folder, replacing the one created by iTunes.

Then open iTunes and everything will be the same as it was on the old computer.

Jeff Freeman

Jeff Freeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the information. If I do this, will there be enough memory on the usb drive to download it again?