Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download speed on new computer slow but fast on others?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
On my new computer the download speed (broadband) is the crawl of 0.81Mb/sec.using speedtest.net. At the time of test the computer was doing no 'work'. I noticed this slowness when downloading a driver update which was at .89Mb/sec.
Another time when downloading a program it was at .196Mb/sec.

At the same time of the test on three other computers all using the same tester, the same ISP, the same router, the same telephone line in the same house the speed is 2.01Mb/sec. which is the usual speed here.

The fact that they all use XP and have differing hardware should make no difference I think - if I'm wrong I can supply those details. This new computer has a much higher specification than the others but again would this make a difference?

I have done virus and malware scans.

Can anyone explain what could be causing this and how I can fix this please? I can't think of any other relevant info to include at this point.

Edited by Plutox, 19 March 2010 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Details of computer please.
Branded if so make and model.
Connection ie: Wireless or fixed.
Open Network Connections in Control Panel.
What is shown.
High speed Lan 10/100 etc.
START My Computer (Right click) Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager, Network Adaptors. Click + sign if necessary.
What is shown.
Any warning ie: yelllow shield. etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2010 - 12:53 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Hello Macboatmaster - I didn't know anyone had replied to this - no notification.

However as you know my computer characteristics, mostly now, have you any ideas on this issue? It is still at 0.81Mbps download speed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLUTOX
Lets deal with the other matter first, otherwise you, or indeed I will become confused.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks rshaffer61.

Ran TFC.exe - cleared a lot out but download speed still at 0.81Mbps.

Ran Auslogics Defrag OK and speed still at 0.81

Have also run an updated SuperAntiSpyware which didn't find much.

What about going back to a restore point? Unfortunately I have only 1 on this new machine on 27th Feb which is not early enough I think.

Am running MSE and Zone Alarm Pro.

Downloading TFC from cnet I stopped after 30 mins (only half done!) and then from the site itself which took less that 4 minutes!

Anything else I can do please?

I ran disk defrag just now from System Advanced Care(free) which is not a hot app I know but it found 23 fragged files - does this mean anything? Windows defrag said not necessary though.

Edited by Plutox, 23 March 2010 - 08:17 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Plutox
It is always bad practice to have two threads running at the same time. Rshaffer61 may NOT be aware of the other thread regarding the graphics card.
If he is not, he MAY agree to the system restore.
If he knew that we have spent the time we have sorting out your resolution with the Nvidia driver that appears to have been either for the wrong Nvidia graphics OR for Windows 64 bit, his view may be different.
I have withdrawn now, having spent many hours helping on other other thread.
The best of luck.
Macboatmaster.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the graphics issue needs the restore to hopefully fix the issue and we can wait for that one to resolve.
In your initial post you say there are a total of 4 systems all sharing the same router. What speed is your connection?
What happens if you disconnect all the others and run just this system straight to the internet?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
rshaffer 61 -

The resolution glitch has been resolved by updating to the latest driver.

My landlord's computer has a download speed of 2.1 Mbps as I have on my old 'Time' PC but only a speed of 0.81 Mbps on my new PC and laptop. There is only a maximum of 2 computers on the same router at the same time, his and one of mine.

There has never before been a speed problem when he and I (using any one of my other computers) are using the router at the same time.

Edited by Plutox, 24 March 2010 - 10:00 AM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've just done another speed test and altho it's been the same at 0.81 for the past 6 days it has now increased to 1.1Mbps but still too slow.

Advertisements

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've just done another speed test and altho it's been the same at 0.81 for the past 6 days it has now increased to 1.1Mbps but still too slow.

Just gone to 1.26

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the next step is to connect your system directly to the Internet without the router.
This will determine if the problem is a faulty router or a problem with your system alone.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Well yes but how is the speed OK with my landlord's computer and my Time PC through that router but not with the others?

So I think the router is OK but it is strange that my laptop as well as the new PC should be equally affected. Someone has suggested that AV could affect this speed .
At the moment I can't remember the different AVs on each computer.

I'll keep testing the speed at intervals. Still at 1.26

Bt the way how to connect to internet without the router - I don't think I have a modem in my new and laptop or do I? How to find out? And would this mean back to dial up?

Edited by Plutox, 24 March 2010 - 11:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have broadband internet then most likely your connection is through a network card and not a modem.
They look the same but ethernet is a wider plug then phone line.
Let's see what you have running in the background that may be affecting your internet. Please do the following.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Before getting to your Autoruns I thought to do some new speed testing - panic over !?

Here are my results this morning taken over a period of about 1 hour from 10.30am to 11.30am, the timing perhaps relevant due to useage load over these lines. Re- test of same source done immediately.

My position is in the southern UK

New PC
Download Mbps Test source from me in miles Upload Mbps
2.03 50 (Maidenhead) All from 0.15 to 0.22
2.03 " 1.99 50 (London)
2.00 Los Angeles
1.99 New York
1.99 Irkutsk
1.32 Melbourne (Always low it seems from here)
1.99 Reykjvik
2.04 51 (Coventry)

Laptop (I did this first and got amazing results - reliable?)
4.53 50 (Maidenhead)
6.18 50 (London)
3.76 35 (Milton Keynes)
2.92 Naples
2.98 Reykjvik
4.23 Los Angeles

What can be made of all this? It was strange that my previous very low speeds were consistent over many days and times.

When submitted my layout has changed - hope you can make it out.

Edited by Plutox, 25 March 2010 - 05:59 AM.