Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Download speed on new computer slow but fast on others?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
I think I have discovered the reason for this discrepancy.

All my previous slow results (all using speedtest.net) were done thru IE (just done another Maidenhead thru IE and the result is 1.26!) whereas the fast speeds were done thru Google Chrome!

What can be made of this?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may just be the system itself may have a faulty nic card.
Are you using the same ethernet cable to test with on both systems or is this wireless on both?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Everythingg is the same, ethernet cable, ISP, router,OS, etc.,etc. -no wireless.

It seems fron the speedtesters' FAQs that anomalies can occur but mine seem way out of line. Just tested mine again from a UK server and it's 2.03 Mbps so I hope the previous low readings were unusual.

As my ISP is supposed to be giving on my package 2 Mbps then all is OK now.

The question of the differences between using IE8 and Chrome is still outstanding. I have contacted speedtest.net about this but no reply as yet.

Thanks for your input - it's lucky that perhaps there is no need to go further on this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I would be interested in knowing the outcome also. There should not be that kind of differences between browsers.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Yes it could seem I have uncovered something here as speedtest.net has replied asking me to do some debug work for them to check out. They seemingly had not been aware of this before which might indicate something wrong at my end but what could that be?

Will keep you posted.

Have you not tried 2 different browsers to see what you get?

Edited by Plutox, 27 March 2010 - 03:46 AM.

uthamaputiran

uthamaputiran

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks rshaffer61.

Ran TFC.exe - cleared a lot out but download speed still at 0.81Mbps.

Ran Auslogics Defrag OK and speed still at 0.81

Have also run an updated SuperAntiSpyware which didn't find much.

What about going back to a restore point? Unfortunately I have only 1 on this new machine on 27th Feb which is not early enough I think.

Am running MSE and Zone Alarm Pro.

Downloading TFC from cnet I stopped after 30 mins (only half done!) and then from the site itself which took less that 4 minutes!

Anything else I can do please?

I ran disk defrag just now from System Advanced Care(free) which is not a hot app I know but it found 23 fragged files - does this mean anything? Windows defrag said not necessary though.

Good answer nice sharing

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
speakeasy speed test is located in the US...they will always be slower because of the amount of nodes they have to go thru...run your speed tests here...
or anywhere in the UK...
also it depends on what site your getting the file from...their servers may be busy handling lots of traffic and the time of day can also affect your download speeds

saha123

saha123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi you check the speed again from here http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ and if your problem persists then contact your provider!!

serachingalways

serachingalways

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes saha said is True.............................................................................