Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot change resolution via Windows nor NVIDIA

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My new computer has the NVIDIA GeForce 7025 630a chipset but I cannot change the resolution via the NVIDIA control panel nor using the Windows Display resolution change option.

When I change the slider position to other resolutions and click 'Apply' (with both methods) nothing changes, the slider position immediately reverting to the setting 1200X800.

I have been in contact with NVIDIA who have been very helpful with suggestions (updating the driver to the most stable version) but still no result.

Can anyone enlighten me on this glitch please?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I presume from your post you are running it with the onboard graphics.
If so which monitor. Have a look at the Nvidia site this card has issues with some monitors.
Also, what is the refresh rate set at for the monitor. Control Panel Display Setting, Advanced, Monitor tab. Whilst there instead of Monitor, Adapter tab, if using onboard graphics, click List all modes.
What is shown there.
I have come across this with another onboard Nvidia graphics and uninstalled the Nvidia Control Panel, used the Windows to change the resolution and it worked OK.
Can I presume that the BIOS is set for the onboard or AGP graphics as appropriate.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your response.
I can't find all the info you asked about (will try to find), except refresh rate is 60Hz. Going thru the NVIDIA control panel tabs doesn't seem to mention your other requested items but NVIDIA cust. help has all they asked for and now they are putting my problem up to Level 2!!

But today I found something new which may give a clue - right clicking on the NVIDIA icon in the system tray a menu option gives 'resolution' which then gives a long list of various resolutions. Now choosing any of these does alter the resolution and remains in it! Why this works and the other methods fail I hope gives a clue. NVIDIA has not replied to this info yet.

I have asked NVIDIA to say that if this glitch cannot be fixed online then to confirm that there is a fault so I can get the seller to replace etc. Have you heard of faults in the manufacture of these items?

I have tried custom resolutions but this did not work.

Edited by Plutox, 20 March 2010 - 10:34 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I very much doubt it is a fault.
It is a glitch with NVIDIA probably because of your settings.
Pls go back to my Post 2.
Do the following.
1. Start, My Computer - Right click, Left click Properties. On the Hardware tab, Device Manager,Display Adapter. WHAT is shown pls. Post that, You will have to click Display Adapter to reveal.
2. Is the driver shown, the one you think should be, ie: the update.
3. IS THE GRAPHICS card you are using the onboard graphics or do you have that motherboard with an additional graphics card in the AGP slot.
You will know because of where the monitor connects to the D Sub 15 pin on the back of the computer.
If it is in the vertical plane, ABOVE THE SPEAKER AND MIC CONNECTION it is onboard graphics.
If it is in the horizontal plane (most likely) it is a separate graphics card.
4. Enter setup. Check that the settings are configured for which is appropriate from above. ie: enable onboard graphics or Advanced graphics port etc.
Check this from my previous post, is the resolution you are trying to set shown here.
Whilst there instead of Monitor, Adapter tab, if using onboard graphics, click List all modes.
Also see this from my previous post. Instead of uninstalling - at this stage disable it and use windows to set resolution.
I have come across this with another onboard Nvidia graphics and uninstalled the Nvidia Control Panel, used the Windows to change the resolution and it worked OK.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2010 - 11:54 AM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that.
This computer is put together by a small local outfit (they are not that helpful as yet). Details:-
2.80 GHz AMD Athlon ll X2 240
256 kb primary memory cache
Multi core(2 total)
Not hyper threaded

Main circuit board - ASRock N68-S

Here are my results to your numbered points:-

1.Network Adaptors - NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (that's all it says)

2.There is no indication of the driver version (182.50) but the update driver I downloaded is mentioned elsewhere.

3.Yes, onboard graphics (15 pin vertical plane above the speaker/mike)

I don't see any 'enable onboard graphics' nor 'Advanced graphics port'. Also 'List all modes' ? If you mean under 'Manage Custom Resolutions' there are 6 or 7 different resolution configurations -are these modes?
If so I am now using 1280X768 which is listed and is perfect on this ACER 15" TFT I've borrowed by using what I mentioned in my last post (2nd para.) viz Rt clicking on the NVIDIA icon in system tray, clicking 'screen resolution' and choosing by trial and error the 1280x768*. This is stable and will try it on my own 15" Dell.

In Device Manager:-
Monitors - Plug and Play monitor
Ports (COM & LPT)
No indication of any problems in all items in Device Manager

*This of course does not explain why I cannot have a stable resolution change via the NVIDIA control panel. As yet no resp0nse on this point from NVIDIA.

I much appreciate your consideration on this affair - thanks. I hope what I have written here is a bit more useful for your analysis. Sorry I am at a loss on some of your points.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are rushing it Pls take your time.
I asked DISPLAY ADAPTOR
YOU have provided
1.Network Adaptors - NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (that's all it says)

Going right back to your first post these are the details of the graphics adaptor, together with the resolution, colours and refresh rates supported. Page 25, 26 & 27

http://us.download.n...lease_Notes.pdf

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2010 - 03:44 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oh, sorry. here it is:-

NVIDIA GeForce 7025/NVIDIAnForce 630a

Edited by Plutox, 20 March 2010 - 03:46 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Point 2 please on post 4

I think you should have this latest driver.
You have the earlier one.
DO NOT try and install it without my assistance. - or at least that is my advice, it is of course your computer.

http://www.nvidia.co...21_whql_uk.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2010 - 04:25 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
2.There is no indication of the driver version (182.50) but the update driver I downloaded is mentioned elsewhere.

Also not mentioned in Display Adaptor nor in any other heading in Device Manager.

Under Sysytem Information fron NVIDIA conttrol panel the version stated is 182.50

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry, please go back to Start, Right click My computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager
Display Adaptor, when you get back, double left click that display adaptor.
Another window will open, click the driver tab
What is there pls.
(When I say sorry - I mean for not taking you step by step)

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2010 - 04:29 PM.

Advertisements

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Under Driver it says;-
Driver Provider NVIDIA
Driver Version - 6.14.11.8250 (that's the 182.50 version I see usually stated I guess)
Driver Date 27/03/2009
Dig. Signature - MS Hardware Compatibility...

Clicking on the Driver Details button there is-

Provider Unknown
File Version Unknown
Copyright Unknown

Is this dodgy?

I know that this driver update is not the latest but NVIDIA told me that it was the most stable and to use it. The latest is 192. something .

Edited by Plutox, 20 March 2010 - 05:04 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes, I have already added that to post 8 while you were away. However I did not know of course about a question of stability.
AND the latest driver for your graphics has NO warning. There was a question of stability on one of the Nvidia drivers and that is noted on their website, but it has been removed and was the 192.75
This is the link to your driver.
http://www.nvidia.co...50_whql_uk.html
AMENDED IN POST 15. This was provided by the Nvidia official site but is for the 630i, not the 630a.
The date of release shown on your system is NOT the same as the Nvidia driver.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 March 2010 - 01:53 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have noted your link to the updated driver and in due course will attend to it but I would be grateful if you would comment on the following info I have found. If my problem is caused by a conflict (see below) then even the new driver may not solve it - something else may be necessary to deal with it.

Last night having changed my resolution from 1200x800 to a stable desirable 1280x768 I turn on this morning and it's back to 1200x800.

My previous comments about not finding what you asked for, 'List All Modes', 'Advanced', 'Monitor' etc. was probably because I was looking from the NVIDIA control panel as today I have found them thru the Windows change resolution/Advanced sequence (Doh).

The driver version given here is 5.1.2001.0; Driver date 06/06/2001 different from the NVIDIA.
Clicking Driver Details the message is, 'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'.

Does this mean I have a conflict between a Windows driver and the NVIDIA driver?

In the List all Modes there is a long list of various resolutions (more than the 8 listed from the NVIDIA system tray icon) the 1200x800 being selected (blued). I highlighted the 1280x768 and then found that the resolution in the Windows resolution slider pane has also changed to that (hurray!). I clicked 'Apply' but as nothing changed and seeing a note that a restart could apply I did so but still nothing changed. The Windows slider resolution was back to 1200x800.

This 'default' resolution seems to overide the NVIDIA resolution. If it can do this on two versions perhaps it can do so on all is what I'm thinking.

Edited by Plutox, 21 March 2010 - 09:01 AM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've just seen your personal message -never had one before - have noted your advice but will wait for your reply to my above post.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The driver version given here is 5.1.2001.0; Driver date 06/06/2001 different from the NVIDIA.
Clicking Driver Details the message is, 'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'
THIS ABOVE IS THE MONITOR, nothing to do with the graphics card.
http://www.nvidia.co...08_whql_uk.html
The above is the link to your driver.
I think, the one you have is for the 630i not the 630a.
Download that driver please. SAVE do not RUN, note where you save it to.
I always establish a folder - Driver Downloads - and keep them all in there.
Disable anti virus whilst downloading.
Come back pls when you have done that.

IGNORE THE LINK in post 12, Nvidia on their official site gave me that, but that is for the 630i NOT the 630a.
You will note that the one I have given you now is the 630a

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 March 2010 - 02:24 PM.