Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot change resolution via Windows nor NVIDIA

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Thanks for your new post and for pointing out that driver version is for the monitor - now I see that!

All the differing ways to ascertain the driver info has always said I have the 630a but anyway the driver version I had when I got the computer was 182.24 from which I changed to 182.50 which made no difference.

I hope I have not mislead on a point. I joined this forum when I had my old computer using XP Home and have been remiss in not informing that with this new computer I am using XP Pro (altho NVIDIA never queried me on this). This has just come to mind as I checked your suggested download which says it is for OS XP and XP Media Center. Does this make any difference do you think? Perusing the NVIDIA website on their driver downloads the drop down menu for the OS' does not mention XP Pro nor Media Center come to that just XP and XP 64 bit - rather confusing.

Please forgive me if you think I am being a bit pernickety but downloading any new drivers seems to me rather stabbing in the dark without a reasoned explanation for the glitch. If it were so simple I would have thought NVIDIA would know about it.

That the NVIDIA resolution mode is 'overwritten' on start or restart should indicate a cause. Another thing I've noticed - when going thru the Windows resolution change procedure, clicking on 'Apply' returns the res. slider to 1200x800 WITHOUT the screen blacking out and returning with the new res. as it does black out when going thru the NVIDIA' icon res. change which retains the change. That this new change goes back to 1200x800 on Start/Restart must show something - what about a registry item which is doing this?

If you are getting fed up with this I quite understand - you have been very assiduous I must admit.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
YOU are quite correct, but drivers do not generally distinguish between the various editions of XP, other than XP and XP 64 bit. All mentions of XP cover Home, Media, Professional 32 bit. All XP 64 bit is usually separate.
If you go to the link below and enter your Nvidia G Force, then choose 7 series, then choose N force 630a.
Then choose on the right CERTIFIED, as against ALL or Beta, you will notice when you peruse the drop down list that some of them do NOT cover the 630a. A glitch in the Nvidia driver website I presume.
This is how I made the mistake, in the first instance. I THINK but do not know that the driver you have is for the 630i. Windows would still accept it, but it may be the cause of your problem.
Whether it is or not, it can only be to your benefit to have the RIGHT driver.
Personally I would download the one I gave you in the first instance, as that is the latest certified driver for your card.
However if you want to stick with the nearest to what you have then that is the link I gave you on the
last driver post.
It would be interesting to see what Windows Update at Microsoft offer you on the Hardware updates, you would of course have to look, as these are NOT offered on Automatic Updates, which only provide High Priority Updates.

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk

ALSO see Post 8 again. I have checked again AND THAT DRIVER IS FOR THE 630a and certified.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2010 - 07:04 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I NOW KNOW FOR CERTAIN that you have the wrong driver.
There were only two drivers on 182.50
One is for XP 64bit and one is for the 630i NOT the 630a.
SEE THIS LINK which confirms what I have told you.
http://www.nvidia.co...mp;q=182.50#230

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Oh my God!

I have written a rather long detailed message but checking other items it has disappeared - I don't know how that is possible but... You may be very pleased though.
Only in my Display Properties plus others (see below) have I seen 630a - never in any Nvidia page of downloads and particularly 630i - where do you see these?
See below for mea culpa in edit.

Going to your link http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk there is no mention of 630a to choose and the version is 196.21 WHQL Certified yes.

The other link you give - http://www.nvidia.co...mp;q=182.50#230 does give 2 options, one for the XP 64 bit and the other you say is for 182.50 630i - Getting to that download I cannot see this 630i - it mentions no 630 numbers at all. At the end of that link is #230 - I wonder what that is.
I don't think I have this wrong 630i version when my Display Properties, Belarc Advisor and System Info. say I have 630a.

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk is the link NVIDIA gave me for my card which gives all the versions from way back including the 196.21.

I think I'll go for that one but I don't think it will solve my glitch - NVIDIA would know that I should think.

I'll let you know what happens.

PS This got longer than I wanted - sorry about that - but I do appreciate your input on this - I have learned a few things.

I've learned something else - I am totally wrong ( well unobservant) - the list of versions was right side cut off but now I see 630i and a all over the place in different versions - oh dear, well at last I can sleep well.

Edited by Plutox, 22 March 2010 - 02:35 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
No joy there.

Saved the 196.21 to my Desktop. On opening the file I get field which says which folder to put it in so I let it create one. Clicking OK I get another field which says,- (Big round red button with white cross on it)'Non 7-Zip Archive'. Only option is to Click OK.

There is then a 'testing' which stops at 70% and gives a list of 'CRC failed -file is broken'. A number of similar items like that.

If I Run instead of Open on the exe file I get to - Could not open archive file "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\196.21_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe"

It took over half an hour to download this too!

Time for bed I think.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This is from my link. Have a look at Supported products
7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a

Did you do as the instructions and I advised, Disable anti-virus

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2010 - 04:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
does give 2 options, one for the XP 64 bit and the other you say is for 182.50 630i - Getting to that download I cannot see this 630i - it mentions no 630 numbers at all. At the end of that link is #230 - I wonder what that is.
GO BACK to the LINK, type 182.50 in the search box and have a look at the two optionbs, one is for 64 bit. so that is not for you.
The other one is NOT for the 630a.

is the link NVIDIA gave me for my card which gives all the versions from way back including the 196.21
Well it will be, it is the same link as I gave you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2010 - 04:54 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Your quote of mine and yours- "....is the link NVIDIA gave me for my card which gives all the versions from way back including the 196.21
Well it will be, it is the same link as I gave you."

Not quite, yours is http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk which seems to give only the 196.21 download with no mention of 630a or i, whereas

NVIDIA's was http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk

which gives something a little different, a long list with the 630i and a options.

Yes this is a quibble but when what one sees is not as described and when I don't see what is really there too then confusion sits well on my shoulder.
As the download didn't work either I think we should rest up on this for a bit anyway.

Thanks again for the effort and time you have given me - very much appreciated.
Any resolution (pardon the pun) to this conumdrum, if ensuing, will be posted here.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Plutox
Click the two links on your last post please.
They take you to exactly the same place.
Choose as appropriate for GeForce
7 series
XP and then when it goes to 196.21 Click tab Supported Products
You will then see Nvidia NForce 630a.
If you go to the other link in post 18. You will see that 182.50 is NOT the correct one.
Have sent you a PM as well.
All the best with it.
NB If the result of the link varies when activating it, then it must change as the Nvidia site is accessed. I have just clicked it twice and got the same result.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Thanks for that. I tried those 2 links at least 3 times and they always got me to 2 different pages/sites. Nothing surprises me much anymore with the internet. I have access to a few computers all with XP and the same AV etc. but they all have different interfaces and wish to download different updates or none at all for the same programs at the same time - hey ho.

Yes that download time was too much and you are right that my ethernet connexion is somehow awry altho it is good at 2.1Mbps on 2 other computers, 0.81Mbps on the NVIDIA one and just 0.22Mbps on a laptop at the same time with the same router,RJ45 cable, telephone cable, house and post office but see my other thread.

Oh now I see you have been again to that other thread.

Edited by Plutox, 22 March 2010 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you say different, are you meaning that one is the advanced driver search and one is the driver search.
I realise that, but the only difference is that one searches for Beta drivers as well, where you can choose ALL, Recommend/Certified or Beta. (I mentioned this in Post 17)

The other one, after selecting the GeForce, then 7 series then XP goes straight to 196.21 where on the supported products tab is YOURS. as below which I have just pasted from there.
7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a.
Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2010 - 07:03 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
[Why is it when I look at other pages I lose this page of my written stuff? Do I have to save or copy it all the time to prevent losing everything? I daren't click anything now when writing here for fear of loss. But enough of that.]

Thank goodness my fears of non 'resolution' of this glitch have been proved wrong as the successful installation of 196.21 and after restart the 1024x768 res. has appeared straight away. Thanks for the tip on putting it on a memory stick (on my Time computer at 242kb/sec -8 mins -as opposed to 40kb/sec on this one). I shall inform NVIDIA.

There is one problem though - on restart I got the mesage that drwsn32.exe Dll initialisation failed.

Googling this I got to a forum about it which I have not yet studied but which you may know about but it is here http://www.pcreview....ead-1503536.php for your perusal. Perhaps it is in G2G too which I shall search for.
Let's hope this current particular thread is over although why it arose in the first place is still a mystery.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Plutox
Pleased the correct driver worked for you.
I still think that Nvidia had pointed you to the wrong driver. I can only find 182.50 as one for 64bit and one for 630i. Not 630a.
I feel bound to say that this could have been sorted to this stage, had you followed my advice, at post 8, when I provided this driver for you.
Good luck.
Macboatmaster

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2010 - 05:01 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Thanks for your post update.

This is the first time of real starting up and all is well and without any of the drwsn32.exe Dll initialisation failed cropping up(as yet!) which has been reported by others suffering this.

I have contacted NVIDIA to confirm that 182.50 is only for XP64bit and for 630i but as yet it appears they have abandoned the feedback.

Your comment that I should have followed your previous advice to arrive at the succesful conclusion would have proved correct but you must admit that following anyone's advice at the outset is not always prudent until one is satisfied that it is the right course of action and that it provides an understanding of why it is right. I can be told that 2 + 2 = 4 but I like to understand why this is correct.

NVIDIA having all my criteria still advised the 182.50 version which proved fruitless so this makes me cautious.

So a succesful conclusion for which I am grateful - thanks again for your continuous support.