Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could I Have Windows 7 on a 2003 pc?

• Please log in to reply

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i was thinking of getting a windows XP reboot disk. but then again as new windows 7 has came out i was thinking of getting that also. reason for rebooting is Ive had my PC for a long time now, the PC was made in 2003 and is a hp pavilion f1703 and from all the years of not getting rebooted... its slowing down. i would buy a new PC but this thing has worked well for me through the years and I'm not about to give up on it yet :). so anyway back to the reason of the post :) I'm wanting to know if a windows 7 reboot disk system would work on my old PC. i had read on other posts around the web it might not work on old PC's :) so I'm just wondering if it would before i go out and buy 1. also how much would it be for a disk? get back to me soon :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically the older the PC the less likely it becomes possible to run modern operating systems.
Not to mention it's plausible that older hardware may not work at all under 7 and even if it does, no guarantee you can get it working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Win 7 Upgrade Advisor will let you know what issues you would have if you put Win 7 on your system. Best way to test all hardware and software to see if it is going to run with Win 7.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Rshaffer61 your link didn't work.

Windows 7 Upgrade advisor from MS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't know why I just tried both mine and yours and it worked with no problem. Maybe just a glitch with the MS site.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ahh right kool :)
im try this the now and report back.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Computer Name:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+
Memory: 256 MB

System Details
Custom installation required: You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP
Windows Aero support:
Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
256 MB of RAM:
Your PC needs at least 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit Windows 7 for optimal performance. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
Outlook Express:
This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
CPU speed: 1.9 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
53.3 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details

Sweex Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter 300 Mbps
SWEEX Action recommended Before installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver.
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (Microsoft Corporation)
NVIDIA Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.
Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
Apple, Inc. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
Nvidia Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
NVIDIA Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Vendor Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Realtek Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
SoftV92 Data Fax Modem
CXT Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
USB Mass Storage Device
Compatible USB storage device Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
version 8.0.56336
Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo
Skype™ 4.1
version 4.1.179
Skype Technologies S.A. This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.5000.0
Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Windows Live Essentials
version 14.0.8089.0726
iTunes
version 9.0.2.25
Apple Inc. Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 (Full)
version 5.7.0 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode is an optional feature available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate that has extra system requirements.
Visit the Windows XP Mode website for more information
Requirement Details
Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.
256 MB of RAM Your PC memory doesn't meet the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7. When running XP Mode, you might experience poor performance.
Extra 15 GB of free space Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
well...
by the looks of it I am probably better buying a new pc instead of all this stuff to update my pc. the sweex wireless is my wireless internet connection and its quite new so I find that a bit silly because how could i go get the new drivers when if it didn't work... I couldn't get on internet :) im going to stick with my pc just now and just get a windows xp disk instead. it does me so im not complaining. I just find it silly how Microsoft are complaining they want people to switch from there old windows to there new 1... when well how are we meant to do this if windows 7 expects so much out of pcs. I frankly am not going out to buy a new pc because they want everyone on windows 7... ill buy 1 in my own time :) :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The machine is under resourced for what you have now. It'll never cope with 7.
Save your money and put it towards a new one.

With all due respect, Windows 7 is built for PCs of today, not PCs of seven years ago.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yeh i know haha