Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista repair installation went wrong!

• Please log in to reply

roland5575

roland5575

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,
i have a dell inspiron 1520 laptop (my sisters) that was giving all kinds of error messages. It did not have any service packs installed and it was infected with some adware. I cleaned it, installed all updates as far as SP1, but after two days of trying to install the service pack, which kept failing i decided to follow Microsoft's recommendation to perform a repair installation. This went well, all of the steps were completed but at the end i was left with a blank screen and a curser. Now i cant start windows, even in safe mode. I tried a start-up repair and that couldn't fix it.

Could anyone help me?

Thank you

Advertisements

Shailendra Patel

Shailendra Patel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
u can repair it if and only if You have access to the pc.
now the windows comapny can only highly affect it's software so u cant undo it
. And why u tried to use the repair server it is well known that windows repairing service is not satisfactory u should only use if u r familiar to it else never use it.

Well i know the repairing service of xp only because i never used that of vista
the xp one is like a command prompt dont know about vista

Well Take my advice from now dont use WINDOWS REPAIRING SERVICE
If u dont have genuine direct CD ROM From Microsoft

Edited by Shailendra Patel, 20 March 2010 - 09:57 PM.

roland5575

roland5575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Well thats just it, i did have a Vista CD, and i used it to perform the repair installation. Anyway i managed to do a rollback, got into safe mode, and carried out a restore from the recovery partition. Thanks for replying anyway.