Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Check Disk Error

• Please log in to reply

Sophera

Sophera

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently ran a system recovery due to system failure. My operating system is on the gateway restore DVD that came with my computer. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. After the restore completed when I booted up my pc it automatically went to diskcheck. It froze the first time at 58% in stage 1 and then rebooted my system again taking me to the check disk screen. I canceled it and my pc booted up. I attempted to run chk disk again from the cmd prompt and rebooted. It froze again at about 56% in stage 1. I have tried multiple times to run the disk check and have had the same result. At one point I got a blue screen with the following error ***STOP 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x85f22da0, 0x85f22f14, 0x80606586) I did a fsutil query and it says my drive c is dirty. following the directions on another post i attempted once more to run the disk check. Nothing is working. I noticed also that there are some scratches on my restore dvd. Could this be the problem and that my disk check is corrupted? Is there anything else I can do to fix the problem? I can get on my pc but I hesitate to add programs I removed until I figure out what this problem is. I also tried starting in safe mode and running the disk check that way but it said it was unable to complete the check. If you have any suggestions please let me know =) and thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think the answer is in the first sentence.
System failure.
At this time, I think your hard drive has so many bad sectors that chkdsk cannot complete. As you ran it from a cmd prompt please follow this.
Click Start, Click My Computer, Right click the Hard drive presumably C. Click Properties, Click the Tools tab, click Check now, PUT a check in ATTEMPT RECOVERY OF BAD SECTORS. Do not check the box - Automatically fix file system errors. We are not concerned with that, all you need to do is establish the state of the drive.. ONCE STARTED DO NOT DO ANYTHING, else and DO NOT SWITCH OFF.
ALSO DO NOT STOP IT.
To view the report see below.

Winlogon shows up in the Application section of the event viewer. Start -> Run -> type "eventvwr.msc" (no quotes) -> ENTER. Click on Application and select the most recent winlogon entry

Post back, I will pick it up Sunday 1900 hrs UK time about.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2010 - 06:48 PM.

Sophera

Sophera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I followed your instructions and it just did the exact same thing it has been doing. I checked the winlog and it shows a SAVSCAN started I am guessing that is when it froze and went to blue screen. The only thing after that looks like a record of my booting back up to post this to you. The difference this time was the blue screen message said kernal_data_inpage_error this time at the top and then at the bottom it had a stop 0x0000007a with other variables and under that atapi.sys with a bunch of numbers after it. I am guessing you are right and that my hard drive just has too many bad sectors for check disk to work properly. I also ran a check on windows and that came back clean so I doubt it is the operating system... Does this mean that I need a new hard drive?! Or is there a way for me to fix the one i have? I appreciate your response. If there is anything else you can suggest I would really appreciate it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
We can check the hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostics. We need to manufacturer to continue.

The following will give us a snapshot of your system.
Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report. Not the Report icon
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

123runner

Sophera

Sophera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK I just received the last suggestion unfortunately I am not home atm. When I got up this morning I tried to boot up to check this post but i couldn't get the monitor to come on. This is what happened when I had the initial system failure. I checked all my connections and the monitor did finally come back on but that was when I found out the system had failed. When I get home which should be in 2 hours I will attempt to log in and try the download and post the report. At this point I am just completely confused. My mom said that if the hard drive is in bad shape that could be why the monitor won't come on. I would think though that as long as the power cord was good the monitor should still be on in auto-save mode even if it wasn't receiving a signal from the hard drive but obviously I don't know for sure. Hopefully I will manage to get on and at least compile the report for you. I will try to post from another pc if I am unable to boot my system. Thanks to you all for trying to help me with this. The system manufacturer is Gateway.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
If the monitor is getting power you will have a yellow light indicating power.
When the monitor is getting a signal from the computer the light will be green (I have also seen the light be blue).

Sophera

Sophera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK so I am back home and when I got in the yellow light was on the monitor power button. As soon as I tried to boot up it went dark. I switched the cords around...plugged in a different power cord and switched connection ends from computer to monitor. I was able to get it to come on and Mom loaned me a flash drive with Everest Home Edition already on it. I am preparing to follow the above directions and will get back to you shortly.

Edited by Sophera, 21 March 2010 - 02:10 PM.

Sophera

Sophera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK report as follows:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer TAMI
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2010-03-21
Time 14:59

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name TAMI
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 530, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Intel Augsburg D915GAG (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory 1014 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (07/22/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 900
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (14339014)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (14339014)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive WDC WD1600JD-22HBB0 (149 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive LEXAR JUMPDRIVE SECURE USB Device (243 MB, USB)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148A (48x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 152625 MB (145280 MB free)
J: (FAT32) 242 MB (214 MB free)
Total Size 149.3 GB (142.1 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

Network:
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection (192.168.1.2)
Modem SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801FB ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Sophera

Sophera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
For good measure I also ran a disk check on the flash drive and it completed just fine. I doubt there is file corruption within windows itself because I also ran a sfc /scannow yesterday per my mother's instructions and it showed no errors. My dad mentioned today my power supply could be going...I had to replace it in December so I am not sure that should be an issue but just thought I would mention it to give more comprehensive information. I have also had a history of system crash without blue screen in the past but that I think had to do with a temperature issue as I was running an online MMORPG at the time. Don't know if any of this helps but again in the interest of full disclosure I thought it was worth mentioning.