Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speakers not working

• Please log in to reply

teamfargo

teamfargo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have windows XP. My sound used to work fine with my speakers...playing cds and visiting web pages that have music, etc. Then I installed voice chat with a headset. After that, if I played cd's (and ONLY those), either on my headphones or with my regular computer speakers, it sounded distorted.

I've looked at my volume levels in the control panel. I've adjusted the settings to try to get clear cd sound.

A few weeks later, I installed a webcam (logitech quickcam pro 4000) and it required me upgrading to directx 9.0. Now, I can still hear voice chat perfectly with my headphones (and the distored cd's that I play in my cdrom), but if I hook my speakers up, there is no sound. Not at all, ever.

Odd since I disconnect my headphone speaker jack and plug in the normal computer speaker jack in the same port.

I am pretty much computer illetarate, so use small words please :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel then sounds, speech and audio devices then sounds and audio devices then in general, check volume setting then click advanced in speaker settings to check it is set for the type of speakers you use. Click audio then check the default playback device is the soundcard then click voice to check default playback is set to the soundcard.

Click apply each time if you change anything

teamfargo

teamfargo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok...I've made sure the volume is ok, the cords are connected ok and i've went thru the volume control panel and looked thru each box making sure the settings are ok, including having desktop computer speakers checked as the speakers to be used. Soundmax digital audio is my only speaker choice and I have two microphone choices: soundmax and my logitech webcam microphone. I enabled the soundmax.

Under "sounds, speech and audio devices" , I opened the sounds and audio devices properties. On the Harware tab, there are many devices listed...three dvd/cd ones and then SoundMAX integrated digital audio, audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, Media control devices, video codecs and logitech microphone (pro 4000). They all claim to be working properly and only two are enabled... the soundmax and the logitech microphone.

I have also used the Help and Support feature did their troubleshooting advice concerning no sound coming out of my speakers.

Anything else I might do? By the way, I did try using two different pair of standard computer speakers as I thought maybe my first pair quit working. Neither have an on/off button, so they cannot be turned off by mistake.

Edited by teamfargo, 20 May 2005 - 06:56 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In sounds and audio did you check the audio and voice playback

If you click start the my computer then view system information then hardware then device manager do you have any exclamation marks for the sound devices

teamfargo

teamfargo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No exclamation marks at all when I looked in that area.

"In sounds and audio did you check the audio and voice playback" I am not quite sure what you mean, but I went thru each task in the sounds, speech and audio devices section.

I did some called a sound hardware test wizard. If I use my headphones with attached mic, everything works perfectly. If I use my desktop speakers and web mic, no sound.

Just a week ago, I was able to choose between desktop speakers and headphone. Just unplugged one, and plugged the other in. Could switch them daily. As far as I can tell, my only change is my webcam with built in mic. Then, the directx 9.0 upgrade I installed along with the logitech software. Could this be responsible for my problem?

Last night, I ran a directx diagnostic tool and found this: "Your sound card does not support harware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers." Aside from the fact that I have no idea what that means, is it important? lol

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you click sounds and audio you get volume, sounds, audio, voice, hardware, click audio to see which is the default playback device then click voice to check the same. Click apply if you change anything.

Edited by Keith, 20 May 2005 - 08:28 AM.

teamfargo

teamfargo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, did that...They were and still are both set to soundmax digital audio. Any other things I can do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the software for the soundcard then re-install it.

http://forms.analog....echSupport.html